Hobby Comparison

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Forgive my ignorance, but what are quarter socks? Sound kinda cissy to me...

not exactly a hunny bunny but...
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Glengary

Post by Glengary »

Whistles and astonomy a common link?
Maybe because there is something spirt1ual in both, i.e. something that appeals to our
inner self.
'Gettin' too philosophical. Gotta go!
Graphics Guy

Post by Graphics Guy »

Actually..We use the same computer now.
But we did at one time have two computers
and Kari and I did meet through the Internet.
That was the one good thing that AOL did.
Kari is referring to "Ankle socks" and no..I wont wear them. My Dixon "D" is my favorite whistle Hunny Bunny, And that goes everywhere with me, So Martin..Got any Chocolate Chip cookies ?

Dan
Hey Moe, Hey Larry, Hey Fellas, Whoooo Whoooo Whooooo
Graphics Guy

Post by Graphics Guy »

And yup..I do think that ankle socks are "wussy" Call me old fashioned.

Dan
Hey Moe, Hey Larry, Hey Fellas, Whoooo Whoooo Whooooo
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

OK, Can't resist...

Having worked at Hansen Planetarium for the last nine years, and having met and had some good conversations with everyone from Carl Sagan to Stephen Hawking, this thread is right up my alley!

But, I have to say, the most impressive views of our skies I've ever seen were through a custom 31" Dobsonian. I haven't seen globulars and dark nebulae look like that even in most photographs.

I've got some photo's of Hale-Bopp when it came through a few years back that if I can find, I'll scan in, and if anyone might like I can email to you.

Alas, the planetarium is no more, due to personal political agendas here in Salt Lake's ever so active county government system. Sad really. Almost 40 years of quality shows and outreach programs...all now dead.

Brian~
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Brian, that's a tremendous bummer! Politics. Sigh...

Well, since we were comparing hobbies, I should say that traditional bowhunters tend to collect bows the way whistlers collect whistles...but at $500+ for a decent wooden bow, this rapidly becomes a problem. I'm trying my hand at making my own longbow at the moment. It isn't easy, but the price is right! :smile:

I know one guy who has an entire garage filled with hundreds of arrows, bows, quivers, feather burners, and all sorts of related archery stuff. And he doesn't even hunt--he just loves the flight of the arrow.

Let 'em have their video games, TV's, high tech goodies, and such...some hobbies transcend mere pass-times and speak to the soul.

Tom "Don't Even Get Me Started On Rock Climbing" Wilson
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Brian,
Is it really gone? I thought they were moving it to the Gateway. Is that going to be a different planetarium, then?

I never got a chance to go to Hansen Planetarium but I always wanted to. I saw a little planetarium in a tiny town in Texas and was just awe-struck by it.

:smile: