how do you lengthen a tune

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
billymac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billymac »

I must be missing somthing but when I'm playing atune, say a Kesh, they all seem to be over too quickly,is there any standard way to lengthen them with a bit of variety? I try and medley a few bars inbetween off the top of my head but as I am only playing myself thats okay. I would imagine this might cause some confusion when accompanied!!

Billy
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

In the one session I attended, the musicians just played the piece several times. You could play it straight one time, then add some ornamentation the next. Depending on the type of tune, you could also play it much slower and with more emotion one time.

Happy whistlin'
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

You could always just take 2 or 3 or 4 similar tunes of the same type, and sorta paste them all together, so to speak...
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

First, the standard way that most tunes are played are AABB, even if there is already an apparent repeat notated in there. We tend to play this AABB three times through, then go directly into the next tune of the set, often doing three different tunes. Until the last set of the evening which may very well be 5 tunes long!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

First, the standard way that most tunes are played are AABB, even if there is already an apparent repeat notated in there. We tend to play this AABB three times through, then go directly into the next tune of the set, often doing three different tunes. Until the last set of the evening which may very well be 5 tunes long!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Look at some cd track lists and you'll notice that these short dance tunes are done in sets of usually 3. There is an art to choosing tunes that compliment each other. Usually each tune is played 3 times.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

The only hard part is trying to remember where one is in the tune. "Gee, have we repeated this section, yet? Have we repeated the song, yet? When do we go onto the next song? Where am I? What key are we in? I'll give anyone $5 if they can tell me where beat one is!" ...
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

On 2002-02-20 02:32, JohnPalmer wrote:
I'll give anyone $5 if they can tell me where beat one is!" ...
<P>At the beginning of the measure. Please contact me by email and I'll tell ya where to send the cash, check or money order (sorry, I don't accept major credit cards!)

<P>Grinning...

~Firefly
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Ditto what Tyghress and Tony said. Three times through, then onto the next tune, usually in sets of three. That's about as long as anyone can sit next to the Bodhran player for before having the screaming heebee geebees.

Remember, these tunes were originally dance tunes. We dont' want a repeat of "They Shoot Horses Don't They".

The three repeats will often give those with an ear enough time to pick up the tune & play along even if they don't know it well, and as said before, gives opportunity to throw in some melodic/rythmic variations.

We've had a couple of discussions on this forum as to how to assemble sets of tunes - I got a nice group off the net entitled "Paddy O'Brien's Sets", edited by Dave Gabol and John Walsh. My belated thanks to all three for the work. It can be found at :

http://www.ceolas.org/ceolas.html

Ditto Session Tunes collected and written by John Walsh, 4th Feb 1994, a very nice collection of tunes, though not actually put into sets.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I found a humorous way to lengthen one particular tune. One night while playing Cooley's ( a reel) I noted that I could add the theme from Gilligan's Island in between the 2 sections of the tune, with appropriate rhythmic alterations. Lots of fun, and it always gets a smile when I play it for anyone else.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Check out the last track of Kevin Burke's album If the Cap Fits. (It's a classic, anyway.)
/Bloomfield