Recording yourself playing on a computer

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
billymac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billymac »

how is it done? How do you make it into a midi file or the like? Why is it every time you are in a hurry the lights turn red? What's it all about? Please help!!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

We'll try to help you billymac. First of all, what program are you using to record?
billymac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by billymac »

I've not tried, don't know what programme you need. I've got a computer with a microphone thingy and I know I have windows media player. I can spell and pronounce computer, turn it on and off and make it say 'fatal error'. Quite clever eh. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Billy
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I use Cool Edit 2000 for which there is a free trial download at http://www.syntrillium.com (shameless plug - no, I don't work for them). If you use it, get the Studio plug-in as well, especially if you plan to stack tracks. This set will cost you $89.

I just plug my microphone or guitar into the microphone jack of the sound card and adjust the volume (this may take several tries to get it right). You may have to use an adapter for this as well. I record my guitar on Track 1, then run noise elimination, compression, and normalization. Then, I will change microphones and record the whistle on Track 2. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to edit the whistle part so that it is clean and strong throughout, since the air from the whistle roars into the mike if you're too close, but I don't want to cut out the chiff. I may try cutting out the lower frequencies on Track 2. Any other ideas?
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

If you have Windows and you don't feel comfortable installing new software, you can make VERY basic recordings using a program called Sound Recorder which is already included in Windows.

Look under Start > Programs > Accessories > Entertainment, I have win 2000 and that's where it is for me.

Advantages:
Already installed
shows you via a green bar whether or not it is receiving sound

Disadvantages:
Little to no editing capability
Maximum of one minute recording time

However, I do use this program when I'm trying to figure out if I have my microphone set up right!

Feel free to email me with questions.

--Beth
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

I know I've mentioned this before, but an easy and free way to record in mp3 format (at various levels of sound quality) is to download the free RealJukebox from Real.com. Under "Tools" (I think) on the taskbar, one of the options is "Record from Mic/Line In". If you have a sound card and mike, you click on that, and you have a very basic mp3 recorder. The level of sound quality is changed from the "Preferences" menu.