Freshner for a whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
StevePower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by StevePower »

I was handed a expensive whistle to try recently but was put off by the stong tobacco smell (and taste) left by the owner.

How do others avoid such siutations? Is there a 'freshner' for a whistle?

Take care

Steve
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

Steve,
I'm assuming that the mouthpiece is wood.
A couple of suggestions:
1. School music teachers often use a non-toxic disinfectant to clean kids plastic recorders. Maybe you could ask around
2. I have used a weak solution of Lysol disinfectant and water, and not kept the instrument in it too long. (Use a lemon scented one) Then I oiled the heck out of the instrument with Almond oil. (but not in the windway)
I have never had any problems with this, but I'm sure that if it is a bad idea, one of the makers on the board will set me straight!
Sue
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

I just remembered Dale's suggestion of Dr. Bronner's peppermint liquid soap (available at health food stores). I have used it to stop clogging in windways and it may be pepperminty enough to freshen your instrument. Good luck
Sue
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

Hi Sue

Thanks for the tips. I don't know if we have Dr Bronner's peppermint soap here, but I'll ask. Incidentally, the whistle is made of Polymer, not wood, with a metal mouthpiece.

Thanks again

Steve

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevePower on 2001-07-21 19:08 ]</font>
FairEmma

Post by FairEmma »

Or perhaps a nice long soak in some water with a palatable food flavouring added?
thesackrat

Post by thesackrat »

I've tried for ages to find the soap locally with no luck. It's available on the net but the bottle size contains enough to last this whole group a lifetime. I wonder if Dale would consider purchasing in bulk and repackaging it into small size containers. I am thinking along the line of him selling it for $10 or so with the net funds going to one of his charities. Yes, that would be more than the actual product is worth but think of the good the money could do. Plus a purchase would help keep our whistles "sweet" smelling as well as sounding.
stimps

Post by stimps »

Looking around via google, I found 8 oz. bottles of the peppermint soap <a href="http://www.theworldsbestinc.com/drbonner.html">here</a> and also <a href="http://www.amproductsonline.com/drbronner.html">here</a>. Hope that's helpful to you. =)

stimps
thesackrat

Post by thesackrat »

Yes, I've seen these sites for the soap. I have ordered a jug but I really hated paying as much for shipping as the product cost (close anyway).
Mal

Post by Mal »

I was shopping in a Natures store today and noticed they carried small bars of "Bert's Bees Peppermint" soap, also "Bert's Bees Bay Rum" scented soap, which also should do the trick.
(Haven't seen any Demerara Rum soap yet, but it might have advantages if such is made. If you goof up the tune, your audience might think you were drunk, not just inept!)