Opinion OT: Cost for a week in Ireland?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wink

Post by Wink »

I don't have my own car so my mother is the one that watches the prices....I only fill it when it needs to be filled and I'm driving. It was up on 70p - 85p per litre. But now that should be converted to € which is €0.95 to €1.10 depending on where you get it. Converting that to dollars.....I know that €1 was worth $0.80 this morning so that is about $0.75 to $0.95. But it has always been more expensive here. Rental cars here usually haven't got a much bigger engine than 1.4 or 1.6 litre. If you drive a manual tranamission half sensibily there is no reason why you won't get 30 to 40 miles per gallon!!! Especially on the not so bad main inter city roads (highways/motorways....), but that is Brit Gallons!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wink on 2002-02-19 11:22 ]</font>
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Gaz will be more expensive in Ireland compared to north american prices, but it's just that Petrol is more expensive in Europe globally, not specifically in Ireland. I think it's more expensive in France than it is in Ireland. Also, alcohol is very cheap compared to what I pay in my city. I will end up paying about 5.50EURO downtown for a pint, and you might expect paying 3EURO in Ireland. As for food, well, have you ever been to a good restaurant in Paris? You could get 6 fish&chip and 14 pints of something for the price of one meal over there...
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Okay, so if you're saying that 1euro for a liter of gas, about $.85 per liter, that would be over $3 per gallon. As I said. Gas is EXPENSIVE there! But we're on vacation, so its all part of the fun.

Now, would someone explain the VAT to me?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Wink

Post by Wink »

Ahhhhh VAT!!!

We pay VAT, Value Added Tax on everything here. Most states in the US pay tax on sales aswell, don't they?? The difference with VAT is this included in the price marked on a product. It is not added at the checkout. I think at present it is 21%, Fairly Steep. If you pay VAT on anything in the line of souveniers or presents for friends at home (probably anything you are bringing out of Ireland, maybe Europe) you can claim all that VAT back at the airport. I'm not sure how it works cause I've never done it, but it can be claimed back. Keep your reciepts
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Yeah, when you buy a product, you have to ask them if they have a form for tax-refund. They need to fill this form and then you need to sign it. At the airport, you show your forms *and* receipts, and you get reimbursed on your credit card. I don't know what happens if you just have the receipts without a form, not sure if you can get reimbursed then...
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Az, I don't think they'll give you a refund on petrol and drink.
billymac

Post by billymac »

As a rule of thumb, you will pay slightly more for a US gallon than we pay for a litre.
As for drink, forget the Guiness, get the whisky down your throat, it takes you places!!
billymac

Post by billymac »

OOps!! I didn't realise there was a second page so I didn't follow the message I was meant to follow so it might not fit and I am confused now. have a nice holiday
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

You can delete posts by choosing the edit button. Works for half an hour after you post I think.
/Bloomfield
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Peter,

I think they do reimburse taxes on drinks, but when I tried they told me they didnt have enough money in their accounts to reimburse me... Hehe, seriously, it's only on goods. I even tried to get taxes back for a whistle made by a local maker, but it seems that there's no tax on those...
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

On 2002-02-19 00:10, jim stone wrote:
Youth Hostels in Ireland work well,
even for geezers like myself. The
ones we stayed at rented private rooms
to couples. Also, you can fund yourself
by playing whistle on the street.
Hey, that's a great idea! I wonder how much they'll pay me NOT to play!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

On 2002-02-19 17:57, billymac wrote:
...As for drink, forget the Guiness, get the whisky down your throat, it takes you places!!
Billymac, I am a whiskey drinkin' Cat, but in general we don't get the quality of Guiness here in the States, and I like to indulge. A friend just told me about a drink she had, Guiness, a shot of Bailey's and a shot of Jameson. I half think that its a quick way to ruin all three!

88 days and counting!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe