dumb question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Can somebody define "Chiff" for me...thanks
jmssmh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jmssmh »

It is tough to define but I know when it I when I hear it.

Joe
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Oh, if only it WERE a dumb question. It's not. It's a mysterious word. From the chiff & fipple FAQ:

Q: What is Chiff? What is Fipple? Why 'Chiff & Fipple'?

Well, the last question is the easiest to answer. I chose two words from the vocabulary of whistle players and stuck them together because it sounded funny to me. I almost named the website and the newsletter "Drainage and Seepage Quarterly" because I thought THAT sounded funny, but as has so often been true, mercifully so, my wife talked me out of it. The word "fipple" has come to be used to refer to the sound generation device of whistles, recorders, and similar instruments. A stream of air goes through a duct and then gets split by a blade. More precisely, the term fipple refers to a more specific part of mouthpiece--actually it would be the wooden plug, for example, on a Clarke whistle. "Chiff" is a hard word to define. It's a quality, present in varying amounts, in whistles. I'm told by smart people that it is a term that comes from pipe organ builders. In fact, often keyboard synthesizers will have a preset sound called "Chiff' or "Chiff Organ" or something. I asked Michael Copeland to define chiff for me when I spoke to him on September 2, 1998. He said that it refers to nonmusical aspects of the sound of a whistle. It has to do with the attack of the sound; the amount of "edge" in the sound. Something like that.
Blaine McArthur

Post by Blaine McArthur »

Thanks Dale,

It is all so clear now....... :smile:

Actually, I was wondering if it might be something like the sounds you get when you blow over the top of the fipple to get that "air whistle" sound. Those extra "whooshy(?)" sounds you get apart from, but in addition to, that clear pure tone of the whistle. Sort of like rough edges. Jeez, I guess I'm not making it any better.

Blaine
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

OK, I'm still totally confused, I got a nick on the blade of my Generation tweeking it, sharpened it, now it's hard to blow and rather airy and oh, heck, it's only a Generation. I think what I'm hearing is Chiff. I'll probaby name my next dog Chiff! Down Chiff! Bad Chiff! Maybe I should name my whistle Chiff!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Your idea about chiff being that extraneous wind noise is really understandable and for the longest time I thought that is what it meant. Let's just decide here and now that it means that.

Dale
AnnaDMartinez

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Ok, Sir, I can take your word for it! Will be thinking about you on Sunday morning!
Blaine McArthur

Post by Blaine McArthur »

the Wise One has spoken.

So let it be written;
So let it be done.

Blaine
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Whew, glad we finally got that settled. Now I can finally get some sleep.

Tom
brownja

Post by brownja »

If knowing what Chiff is worth $10. Buy a Clare. There will be no doubt in your mind after that.
jb
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

Clare's Chiffy? My Clare is my favorite low priced whistle and I don't hear it as chiffy, it does have a bit of a buzz on lower notes that I really like, is that what you are talking about JB?
brownja

Post by brownja »

I have a Clare two piece and it seems quite "chiffy" to me. I have two bad feadog's and a generation that sound kinda of buzzy and that's not it. I have a good Feadog and a Susato that are nice and pure. The Clare has something else going on that's (Ha Ha) hard to define. It actually adds a bit of character to faster tunes but is irritating on airs. Does that explain it?, probably not but it's the best I can do in words, Like trying to define "purple".
Cheers,
jb