Qualitative or Quantitative Practicing Methods?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Eldarion
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Eldarion »

Hi Guys! On the topic of practicing methods, is it better to practice quantitatively (go through as many tunes as possible), or to practice qualitatively (go through one or two tunes but fine tune them slowly?)
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

I usually opt for a comprimise between the two extremes. I'll run thru a bunch of tunes I know, but don't have down perfectly. When I get to tunes that are really new or that I still have a hard time with, I'll slow down and repeat them several times, especially the parts that I have trouble with.
FairEmma

Post by FairEmma »

Obviously, the path to follow is the one that works best for you. I find if I focus too much on quantity, the quality begins to suffer (and I don't manage to really *learn* the pieces I hope to internalise). But there are days when what is known feels that little bit too small - and then it's fun to sit down and go fishing. :smile:

Many times, when I practice, I don't start with tunes. I start with practicing rolls along the scale, or cuts. I practice manipulating notes with bends or slowly covering holes or breath pressure. I practice octave drops or rises, fingering combinations I find problematic. My goal here is to help the body develop the sort of kinesthetic memory that can take over in a tune, so I can play with less conscious thought co-opted by mechanics.

It isn't glamorous by any stretch. But it does help, and it's a wonderful way to get to know your whistle intimately.

FE
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

If you talk to any of the "old" Tradtional Irish Masters (and probably even the newer ones), they will tell you that it is better to play 10 tunes very well than 100 badly, or just adequately. In todays sessions the tunes fly fast and furious, often with little regard to style, interpretaion or musicality. A wonderful Trad Irish flute player by the name of John Skelton once said that the problem with young players today is that they seem to think that:
"Speed + Volume = Applause" Anyway, food for thought.
Sue