New Dixon Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DaveG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DaveG »

Has anyone tried the new and improved Tony Dixon Whistle, with the brass tuning slide? They look like a real winner, and I'm always in the market for a new/great whistle..
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

I also spottet those on his website the other day. Looks very professional.
Tony's high D whistles are excellent IMO, I don't think the brass tuning slide will affect the sound much- sure looks cool though!

Jeroen
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Excuse me for a slight change in topic, but does anyone have any feedback on Tony's Low D? For 50 quid it looks like a deal.

Cheers :smile:
Gerry
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
Barney-O

Post by Barney-O »

As my one and only low whistle(so far), I have a Dixon low D and really like it.
I have about average size hands and the reach on it is quite easy, in fact I don't have to use the piper grip on the right(lower) hand.
It has a rather soft mournful and slightly breathy sound which is great for the slow airs.
I don't think it takes much more breath than a Burke wide bore soprano D to play.
All-in-all, as you surmised, for 50 quid it IS a good deal especially if it is your first journey into the land of the lows.

Keith
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

My one and only low whistle is the Dixon Low D and I really like it. I have small hands and can still manage to cover the holes. It is very quiet on the low notes which is fine for playing at home but not so great when playing with other instruments sometimes. I do really like the sound though.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

To return the topic to the original, does anyone know if this brass-tuning whistle sounds any different from the other Dixons? I am thinking of getting a hard case from Tony and if I can find out info on this whistle I may add it to my order.