Sessions in County Clare?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

This summer I will spend 2 weeks in Ireland: from august 25th - september 8th, in County Clare. I would love to assist to sessions, but I'm rather a beginner, having only little experience (2 sessions). Any advice will be welcome.
Ron Rowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ron Rowe »

Claudine,
Check out this web site : http://mag.irish-music.net/Sessions/Sess1.htm

It lists all the sessions in Clare and the surrounding areas, complete with the phone numbers of the pubs so you can check to be sure they are still having them.
From the look of it there is a session just about every night and several on most nights

Hope this helps and enjoy the trip

Ron
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Ron, thanks for that interesting link.
Zookeeper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zookeeper »

Claudine,

May I ask a favor of you?

While you are in Clare, could you ask if there is anybody with the family name Fodge still living around there?

My great grandparents, John Fodge and Margaret Fox, came from Moy, Killifidane Civil Parish, Kiladysert Roman Catholic Parish, County Clare(not sure of spelling).

This is only if you happen to think of it while you're there. I don't want to interrupt any of the music you will obviously be enjoying.

Thanks,

Rick
maire na mná go deo!
Health to the men and may the women live forever!
claudine

Post by claudine »

Well, Rick, I will see what I can do, but this seems to be a difficult task for someone who doesn't know a soul in Ireland. Maybe you should try to make contact with some catholic priest of that town. They usually have church registers about birth, marriage etc ... Or, try to check the local phonebooks online. You could also write to a local paper, and ask them to publish your question. Several american people searching for luxembourgish roots have done this here. So why shouldn't it work in Ireland. But I will try to ask around for information when I will be there.