On the fact that the messageboard is free

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

This is a great new forum. It may have slightly fewer features than Coolboard but the speed is great, not to mention the freedom from ads. I'm temporarily without my normal high-speed Internet connection and with a 56K modem this is way faster than Coolboard at 900K. So I'd like to add to the many expressions of appreciation to Rich for all his work.

Now, regarding the payment of dues (by visiting the Hunger Site, Breast Cancer site, Kids Aid site, etc.). I don't visit these sites, despite the worthiness of Dale's intention. I won't embark on a diatribe about why except to say that if I'm going to "give" anything, I'd rather give my own money, rather than allow commercial concerns to pursue their aims, laudable or otherwise, through my consuming their ads.

So... Dale, if you are willing, I'd be happy to send a small donation periodically to be paid into a fund which you could send to whatever charities you want. Or to make a charitable donation in the name of C&F. Then I needn't feel any guilt about not "donating free food" (a strange idea, when you think about it). How about it? Anybody else feel the same way?

Also -- does the hosting of this message board entail any expenses for Rich (other than loss of practice time)?
Ron Rowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ron Rowe »

Good point Stevie, does this entail cost for you Rich? I would be happy to pay some kind of membership fee to help reemburse you.
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

No costs for me -- the board's hosted on an underused machine at work and isn't taking up much for resources at all. If it ever gets to the point where it's taking up so much disk/cpu that it's a problem, I've got some other options, but I'm not so subtle as to refrain from whining about it here if it happens, either :smile:
<ul>-Rich</ul>
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Let me express my appreciation for the sentiments behind your offer to help fund the board. The board certainly costs me nothing and Rich Lafferty can speak (and has spoken) for himself. But it's a very kind offer and greatly appreciated. And no need to explain or justify your decision not to do the Hunger Site click-throughs. That should always be considered entirely optional.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

One other thing...I have a favorite charity which people here can ALWAYS feel free to contribute to: Crisis Center/Rape Response program here in Birmingham, AL. To contribute, call Mike at (205)323 7782.

Dale