You're stranded on an ireland...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TheSinger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been playing whistles for many years, and figured it was time for me to join the forum. I’ve learned much from reading here, and would like to join the party

You're stranded on an ireland...

Post by TheSinger »

... and apart from whatever stuff you’d care to take with you, you could choose only one low D whistle... Which low D would that be?
Heck, ok, you're allowed to bring another whistle in another key as well. Otherwise you'd probably get dehydrated by only playing tunes in D and G😂 :D
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: You're stranded on an ireland...

Post by BigDavy »

Swayne low D.
Burke B natural.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

TheSinger wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:49 pm ... and apart from whatever stuff you’d care to take with you, you could choose only one low D whistle... Which low D would that be?
Heck, ok, you're allowed to bring another whistle in another key as well. Otherwise you'd probably get dehydrated by only playing tunes in D and G😂 :D
I don't think you can have 'an Ireland'. As far as I know, there's only one (although the name can refer to at least slightly different land masses depending on context).
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I’d bring a flute
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I'd say if you were stranded in Ireland, you'd have lots of places to get a whistle! :lol:

However - if it was on an island, I think I'd stick with my Aisling (or maybe a Killarney).

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

My Colin Goldie, no contest.
bruce.b
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Post by bruce.b »

MK low D, MK low F, and a MK midgie. The best three whistles I’ve played.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

plunk111 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:28 am I'd say if you were stranded in Ireland, you'd have lots of places to get a whistle! :lol:
You think so? But I think the OP was thinking of a desert Ireland anyway :D

My brain hurts

PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Am I stranded on the "Ireland that we dream of?" There may or may not be comely maidens dancing. Accounts differ. I like comely maidens, and would try to charm them with my flute. The Low whistle hasn't been invented yet

Am I stranded on the Ireland imagined in Irish pubs worldwide? There's a dusty hurl on the wall and a lot of wood aged to look old and some alleged "irish prayers/proverbs" A guy with a guitar is singing "danny boy." I would want a sturdy, heavy whistle that could stand up to being sharpened, so I could kill him with it.
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

If it's an Ireland in the sun, I shan't be needing a whistle. I'm ginger and will have heatstroke if it's more than 20º C.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Am I stranded on the "Ireland that we dream of?"
I was thinking something like that when the thread started: 'the Ireland of the imagination' , 'the Bórd Failte Ireland', 'the Hidden Ireland' and all of those. But I live in the daily Ireland of grey skies where comely maidens and young fellas try to get away as fast as they can.

Just heard a young local girl from a family I know added herself to a long list of young people to take their own lives. It's not a good day, but a harsh reality in the real Ireland. The Ireland of nightmarish desperation and heartbreak. Comely maidens (amd young men) feeling stranded.
My brain hurts

PB+J

Post by PB+J »

There seems to be plenty of despair among the young here in the States as well. It might be global.

There are a lot of possible Irelands and I don't feel like I understand any of them all that well. As far as I can tell the Irish don't either.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There seems to be plenty of despair among the young here in the States as well.
I probably should have left the subject alone, or at least not have reacted so soon. There's a lot to be said about it, but this is not the best place for it. So sorry about that.
My brain hurts

Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I’d take a Copeland low D as the low D choice.

Hmm, my second whistle would be a toss-up between a Timothy Potter or John Sindt soprano D, a Löfgren in A, or a Carbony in G or low F.

I’m glad I don’t have to only choose 2 whistles.
TheSinger
Tell us something.: I have been playing whistles for many years, and figured it was time for me to join the forum. I’ve learned much from reading here, and would like to join the party

Post by TheSinger »

Interesting how my small typo opened up for a completely different kind of sharing environment.
Yeah, mental health issues are very present in Norway as well, although we have all the beautiful lakes, fjords, and fairytales about "nøkken", who is a water spirit of some sort, playing the fiddle and tries to trick people into his watery underworld. It's weird times, and we have to take care of each other. My main reason for playing whistle is actually more related to well being and mental health, than the music.
Anyways, I would probably bring my soft blowing Goldie low D, and... Maybe my McManus Bb :)
Have a blessed day