Somebody stop the madness, please.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Somebody stop the madness, please.

Post by Loren »

According to my count, half the posts on the first page here (at the time of my posting) are off topic. HALF. I've got no problem with OT posts per se, but when the volume gets to the point that less than 70% of posts on a forum are topical, then I find it not even worth checking any more.

I know the subject has come up before, but Dale puhleeeease, isn't it time we reconsider having a separate OT forum???

Loren (Well ready for the flame throwing headed my way...)
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I confess that I've been thinking about that again. There has been a proliferation of OT posts and, of course, I start OT threads all of the time. I think I would be happier with the present situation if the mix of On-Topic to Off-Topic was a bit more balanced.

I'm going to start a fresh poll regarding this issue. I'm not saying we'll go all democracy about it, but I'd like to first know if there's a broad consensus on this.

Thanks, Loren.

Dale
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I'm with you Loren, but I gave up a long time ago, it seems most people here arent really serious about whistle playing and the need for a social zone is bigger than actual discussions on the music.
TomB

Re: Somebody stop the madness, please.

Post by TomB »

Loren wrote:According to my count, half the posts on the first page here (at the time of my posting) are off topic. HALF. I've got no problem with OT posts per se, but when the volume gets to the point that less than 70% of posts on a forum are topical, then I find it not even worth checking any more.

I know the subject has come up before, but Dale puhleeeease, isn't it time we reconsider having a separate OT forum???

Umm, shouldn't this thread be labeled OT? :D

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Maybe instead of an OT forum, create a new Whistle forum to go with the Flute and UP forums? Then the Poststructural board becomes for chat, and actual whistle questions go to the Whistle Forum?
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have also started to think an OT forum would be a good thing, but I'm not sure it'll increase the number of whistle-related topics.

All message boards go cycle through different phases of growth / stability / instability / loss / new growth.

I think we're coming out of "instability" and starting to enter the phase where many old members just don't check back very often.

The board may slow considerably for a bit, but it'll pick back up as more new players find this place. Also, the friendlier we all seem to be, the more likely those new faces will hang around to ask their own questions and post their own thoughts.

Just my $.02.

--James
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

James,

You make some valid points and, in general, I agree that one of the things that has made this forum so agreeable :wink: (most of the time) has been the sort of informal atmosphere, which is due in part to the mixture of on/off topic posts.

OTH, the ratio of OT posts has gotten so high, that I honestly believe it's a major contributing factor to the decline of more seasoned posters. (And lets face it, traditionally, the majority of OT posts come from people who stick around here from 1-1.5 years or so (Amar aside :roll: ) No one here is more "valuable" than anyone else, but when a forum loses more and more of it's more experienced members , for whatever reasons, it's a loss for everyone.

I also think that with so many OT posts, and a less than perfect search function, the board becomes much less user friendly to brand new users who are looking to gather information on specific things.

Finally, from a personal standpoint, I find myself with less and less free time, and while I'd like to be able to continue to read and contribute to the forum, it's gotten to the point where I really is difficult to justify, there's just too much stuff to sort through. And when it comes to contributions on a technical level, I have become unwilling to spend the time to write thoughtful detailed posts, because I know that before more than a few days, what I've written will be pushed so many pages back, that it will not be useful to more than a few people, so why bother?

Personally, at this point, I much prefer the Highly Segmented forums, like the various acoustic guitar forums, however I realize going to that extreme is probably not the best answer for our little neighborhood here. Still I think and OT forum, and a Buy/Sell (Marketplace) forum, wouldn't hurt anything, and would help out quite a bit. Just my opinion, of course.

Dale,

Thanks much for taking the time and effort to solicit feedback and consider the issue, it's much appreciated. :)

Loren
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Loren wrote:According to my count, half the posts on the first page here (at the time of my posting) are off topic. HALF. I've got no problem with OT posts per se, but when the volume gets to the point that less than 70% of posts on a forum are topical, then I find it not even worth checking any more.

This is the sort of comment and advice that could go in
ADVISE DALE HERE topic which I started some time ago. It is not an OT topic.

I commend that topic to you.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

colomon wrote:Maybe instead of an OT forum, create a new Whistle forum to go with the Flute and UP forums? Then the Poststructural board becomes for chat, and actual whistle questions go to the Whistle Forum?
Since everyone is used to this forum as being off-topic, this idea makes sense to me.
While I realize that going OT is part of the development of the social aspect of the penny-whistle community, we owe it to succeeding generations of whistlers to give them the benefit of our collective knowledge in a straight-forward manner; and not have them feel as if they are dealing with a social clique. Personally I lost interest in posting for quite a few months because there seemed to be nothing but OT threads.

Besided it is far easier to search for tips etc. without having to sift thru OT threads or Bloomfield replies to legit questions.

Albeit, it may not have a HUGE number of threads a whistle forum will be pertinent to the subject, and since the social community will remain intact, what are we losing?
Last edited by StewySmoot on Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I agree there should be an On-Topic whistle forum only. Three or four of my favorite posters no longer (seldom) visit or post anymore. They say there's just too much junk to wade through...that this has become more like a chat-room.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I'm guilty of a couple of off-topic posts recently, and I was happy that this board, and the folks on it, were here for me!!!!

I had questions that I knew someone would help me with, and sure enough, I had many great helpful answers within just a few minutes of posting each of my questions.

I really value this board.

But sure, I think a separate whistle forum is a positive evolution here.

M
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

talasiga wrote: This is the sort of comment and advice that could go in
ADVISE DALE HERE topic which I started some time ago. It is not an OT topic.

I commend that topic to you.
If we need a new board administrator, we'll call you up, k?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hey, whatever. Just so long as we can keep tolerating thread drift. I'd hate to see that freedom go belly-up. I think it contributes to creativity.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Thread drift is good in its place.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Four things can help reduce the OT posts.

1) More newbies asking the age-old questions about whistles and whistling.

2) More new whistle models to review and discuss. Get busy, whistlesmiths!!!

3) More Chiffers playing their whistles.

4) More Chiffers getting lives. (My Mac arrived in Texas yesterday, and got set up today, so I'm about to go that route, myself. It's back to work for me. :thumbsup: )
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe