Could I play it? Need advice

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
skywatcher
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by skywatcher »

Hi!
I want an Overton. I need to feed my WHoA.
I currently have a Chieftain low F that I can
play well and a Ralph Cook low D that I can
just play. I LOVE the sound of the D
but I know no one that has an Overton D that I could try. I have small hands, and I don't
know if the Overton spacing and size of the holes are much different than my Cook whistle. I don't want to order one, and then
not be able to play it.
I do use piper fingering.
Could I play an Overton D?
Thanks!
skywatcher

"Watchin' the sky, ready to fly!"
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I've never played a Ralph Cook low D, but I do own a "big hole" Overton low D.
I only have an 8cm 3-finger stretch, but I can still manage the Overton just fine... and the standard model Overton low D is an easier reach than mine.
I can't play fast tunes very well on it, but I can't play fast tunes very well on any low D. :wink:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
ThorntonRose

Post by ThorntonRose »

If you can't play it, you can sell it. Lots of people wait in line for an Overton.

~ Thornton
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Skywatcher.

A year or so ago we had a survey of Low-D hole spacing. Overton ended up with the closest spacing of the holes for a low D. Especially the right hand where a lot of small hands folks have problems.

Like another person posted, If you get an Overton, you can probably resell it easily.

Good luck and ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

By my calculations the Howard low D
right hand spacing is slightly better,
but the Overton spacing is very
good. The lightness of the whistle
helps, too.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I have both a Cook and a standard sized Overton in low D. I also have smallish hands and can play either as well as I can be expected to with my near-total dearth of talent.

If you can play the Cook, you can play the Overton - lung power is actually more of a challenge in the upper register.
skywatcher

Post by skywatcher »

On 2002-02-07 14:38, skywatcher wrote:
Hi!
I want an Overton. I need to feed my WHoA.
I currently have a Chieftain low F that I can
play well and a Ralph Cook low D that I can
just play. I LOVE the sound of the D
but I know no one that has an Overton D that I could try. I have small hands, and I don't
know if the Overton spacing and size of the holes are much different than my Cook whistle. I don't want to order one, and then
not be able to play it.
I do use piper fingering.
Could I play an Overton D?
Thanks!
skywatcher

pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

I once tried to play the Cook Low D.
don't remember much about the finger stretch, but it definitely won't be a problem. And IMO the Overton Low D is infinitely better!

Jeroen
Overton Advocate
christina

Post by christina »

i've just ordered an overton low d from the whistle shop,but i'm a bit disappointed becoz my hands are too samll for it.i have to stretch,or i can say 'tear' my hands and fingers,to reach the notes D,E the sound is very gd but the problem is that the whistle is enormorous!today i practice very hard...trying to reach the D note andit is terrible,

can anyone pls tell me :any remedies i can make??i think the holes are prettybig (well, to me at least,i suppose u all have bigger hands than me coz i'm 16 only,and usually asians are samller,am i right)...i don't want to give it up(never ever).do u think i czm stick sth to the hole to makeit smaller,becoz if i cannot fill the hole completely,thesound is never accurate.can someone pls help me?actually does colinmake special whistlesfor smalll hand people????like..czn he make the holes closer????
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Hmm, your hands might very well be too small for a low D whistle (not everyone can play these monsters you know!), in which case I'd recommend you try your hand(s) at a smaller low whistle, for instance a low F or G.

However, low whistles take some getting used to; I remember the first time I tried a low D (some years back, in a shop in Glasgow), and there was no way I could manage that stretch (I bought it anyway :smile: ). However, for me it's been a matter of getting used to it; these days low Ds present no problem to me.

But it might be an idea to start "softly"; get comfortable on a Bb, then try a low F, get comfortable on that, etc. Has the added benefit that you get to buy more whistles. :smile:

Jens
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

If you're having trouble with the low D, why not try getting one of the tutorials? Or look for a teacher? I have very small hands, but can handle a low D. My right hand does just fine, but a highly proficient flute/whistler/uillean pipe player says I need to change my left hand if I intend to get up to speed.

Its not the first time I've had to go back and unlearn/relearn something, and its best to do it quickly rather than a year down the road.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
christina

Post by christina »

it's not that i don't want to get a tutor.,..there is no tutor available in our country.well i've just contacted one player who seems to be a professional(he says he plays around the world) ...haha...by the way...i now play the low D whistle everyday and the onlyproblem is the D note.it doesn't always sound right.i have the play slowly when it comes to the D note.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: christina on 2002-02-22 05:42 ]</font>
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Are you using piper's grip? That
should help. Most people do.
Also if you hold up your right hand,
put the fingers of your left hand
between two fingers of your right
hand, and stretch them apart, then
do it to another two fingers... and
so on. Not too hard, but a good stretch.

Also some people play a low D with the
pinky of their right hand. Again
using piper's grip. Do keep at it.