questions needed answering!!!!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
andy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by andy »

Hello, as a new whistler i have some questions that id loved answered if thats OK.

1) What do u guys think of Howard low D whistles??? Are they good for someone who is looking at a purchase that might last them for a few years, without having to upgrade. (if u do that on whistle?)

2) I have found out today, that where i live we have a folk night, where anyone can get up and play. Is it considered poor form to take sheeet music up on stage for this kind of music???? I dont know?????

3) As a bassist i perform regularly on weekends, however as a hopefully potential whistler, would u recommemd learning another instrument such as the guitar to help imrove the chance of getting hired by a band. It seems that many people that perform the Irish/Celtic style music often play several instruments. Is whistle good enough on its own???
Thank u for any feedback
Regards Andy
Blarney Pilgrim

Post by Blarney Pilgrim »

Read the Chiff & Fipple review of the Howard on the Low D part of the web site. It really has a unique sound. The holes are huge. Maybe that is why I have difficulty playing anything fast on it. The Howard is tunable by moving the mouthpiece, but it tends to slip on its own. A number of people on this board also report clogging problems. I much perfer my Tony Dixon. <br> As to your other questions, my opinion is play the instrument(s) you enjoy. If you can't find a band in need of a whistle player, start your own. I did! <br> Happy whistling,<br> Steve
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

<b>Andy:</b> I love my Howard. It's a well-made and unique sort of whistle. But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that wants "the low whistle sound", because it sounds nothing like an Overton or Susato at all. In any case, I wouldn't recommend one without the opportunity to audition one. I'll see if I can't do a recording sometime soon, too, although I've only played mine, and I can't guarantee that mine's representative.

It's <i>big</i>, too, with a bit of a stretch and big finger holes, so I can't recommend it as a first low whistle, either. You can get some tunes coming out okay -- I tend to play it with ornamentation more like a piper than a flutist, too -- but it takes quite a bit of work to get comfortable on it.

I'd avoid sheet music at a folk night, if possible. I'd avoid having to use sheet music for pretty near anything, though -- even at the symphony level, you don't so much read off the music as use it to remember what's coming up.

As for bands -- well, if you want to be a guitarist, then get a guitar and look for a band that needs a guitar. Doesn't seem to me to be a very good way to get to play the whistles, though. Maybe there are sessions in your area instead? The Irish tradition isn't as band-based as you might think. It's not about getting hired, it's about showing up and playing.

<b>Blarney:</b> The Howard is designed to need some teflon tape between the body and mouthpiece -- should be a buck or two for a roll that'll last you years at a hardware store.
<ul>-Rich</ul>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2001-07-18 12:51 ]</font>
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

All that has been said has some truth in it. I have been quite happy with my Howard... well, until I received my Overton. For me, the Overton is the superior choice. But I find the differences in sound to be quite subtle. BTW: For me there is no point in dealing with 2 low d's. So if you are interested in my Howard email me at C.Roch@gmx.de
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

On 2001-07-18 12:32, Blarney Pilgrim wrote:
If you can't find a band in need of a whistle player, start your own. I did! <br> Happy whistling,<br> Steve
Steve,

Any relationship to the Grand Junction band "Blarney Pilgrim"? Or just coincidence??

Brian~
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Just responding to the question about Howards:

I have a Chieftain Low D. A buddy of mine liked it, so he bought a Howard (go figure). These are the only 2 low whistles I have heard in person and played, other than a so-so Indian or Pakistani brass one. My comments do not take into account the many whistles I want to buy and try.

I like both the Howard and the Chieftain. To my ear, the tone of the Chieftain is breathier and a little louder. Also a little more "flutey" without actually sounding like a flute.

The Howard didn't clog as easily as my Chieftain (I have developed a habit of sucking in my breaths through the windway to clear it. I also don't tend to loan out my whistle, since I only want to suck my own spit back in, not some other schmoo's.) so to me it didn't seem cloggy.

Hole stretch didn't seem cumbersome on the Howard, but it wasn't any easier than the Chieftain. (The guy who owns it actually forces his hands to play the monster with fingertips! He simply won't learn piper fingering and that is slowing him down a lot.) I have largish hands so I have not found the fingering to be difficult on either whistle, once I got used to spreading the fingers out to play.

If I were to give a suggestion between these two whistles, I'd say get the Chieftain if you like Clarke whistles. Get the Howard if you prefer Generation high whistles. But, there are a lot of other whistles out there. Everyone is so hot about Tony Dixon that I intend to buy one of his low whistles next time I can afford to spend money on music. And his are cheaper than either of the above.

Do you play music in order to be hired into a band or in order to enjoy yourself? If you want to learn another instrument, do so! If you just want to be part of a band, ask around and see what is in demand for band music at the moment. If you want to learn whistle, go for it! It gave me the confidence to tackle bagpipes and (now) the fiddle. Sort of like a "gateway drug" into the music world. Saw this great banjo the other day...

-Patrick
Blarney Pilgrim

Post by Blarney Pilgrim »

Rich - My teflon tape must have been too thick or something. I tried this technique and nearly split the mouthpiece!<br><br>

Bryan - The actual name is plural "Pilgrims." However since I am only one of them I only use one in the user name. I'm half a continent away from Grand Junction in any case and the names are just coincidence.
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

FWIW, I use one wrap of teflon tape on my Howard's mouthpiece. If your teflon tape is anything <i>near</i> thick, then I think you've got the wrong stuff -- remember, this stuff goes over the threads of a pipe when being threaded into another one.
andy

Post by andy »

Thanks for the replies people. In regards to the Howard low D, i have just played one for the first time, and from the little that i know, the tone sounds quite warm and airy!!
I also have got into the endless pursuit of acquiring whistles, within 3 weeks i now have : d generation, Bb generation , C feadog, D feadog, and a D Clarke and hoping to get the low D Howard!!! HELP< im addicted!

The Clarke is unusual one, what do u guys thinks of the the gold diamonds and the small and closer holes, and the wood fipple. MMMMMM Under YUCKY whistles on this forum, one member basically paid out on this whistle, i quite like the warmth and subtleness of the d Clarke.

Reagrds Andy

PS Are there any Australians (victorians) here??????
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

On 2001-07-24 08:19, andy wrote in part:
The Clarke is unusual one, what do u guys thinks of the the gold diamonds and the small and closer holes, and the wood fipple. MMMMMM Under YUCKY whistles on this forum, one member basically paid out on this whistle, i quite like the warmth and subtleness of the d Clarke.
I started with a Clarke, largely because I'm a reenactor, and I needed an instrument made like at least some of them were in the mid-19th century -- though I can't speak to the accuracy of the decoration. I find that the Clarke has a softer voice than either my Overton ( no surprise here ) or my Copeland, and that it requires much lower wind pressure. If the golden diamonds offend, just play it for a while and they'll wear off.

The wooden fipple can cause problems if the grain of it rises into the windway because of the moisture, or it starts to dry out and shrink. When the latter happens, wind will leak out around the sides of the fipple and the whistle will get hard to play. I solved these problems by using a trick that made my old maplewood fife play better: I soak the fipple in mineral oil from time to time. That's how you treat a maple butcher block, right? The grain of the wood in the Clarke fipple is quite open, and the oil will penetrate readily. I find it makes the whistle much more playable, *BUT*, as always, YMMV.

There's no particular technique: I just get a bottle of mineral oil from the drugstore that has a neck large enough to admit the fipple end of the whistle, and dunk it in -- usually overnight. In the morning, I take it out and stand it in a corner of the kitchen counter with a paper towel to soak up the drainage. It's ready to play when I come home from work.

I like my Clarkes -- I have a C and a D -- and still play them for a change from my other whistles.
Best regards,

Neil Dickey