My Cillian O'Briain

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
FairEmma
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by FairEmma »

I'm clicking my heels! I feel as though I've been on a quest for a whistle like this for ages! I wrote Steve at Shanna Quay and told him I'd succumbed to the lure of the O'Briain Improved whistle. I ordered one in D and it arrived today, ever so promptly and efficiently, in the post.

What had finally pushed me over the edge about the O'Briain was the report it had very low breath requirements and benefitted from "controlled breathing." Since I so often feel my breathing is out of control at the top of the second register, where I sometimes get it but more often don't, this sounded the ticket.

It is absolutely, hands down, the *easiest* whistle I have ever played. I put it to my lips for that first anticipated tone (such a sweet moment), gathered my usual supported breath and the sound that came out was impossibly high. I stopped immediately, then tried again. Same high sound. I thought something was wrong! I then realised I had just produced the third-register D with almost no effort.

I backed the breath off and the second-register D emerged, very clear and sweet. More backing off and I got to the first-register D. I'm not whistle-techie enough to know exactly how this gem is tweaked (although the plastic addition to the window is obvious), but suddenly I have in my possession a whistle that plays *effortlessly* in the second register! I'm doing ornaments up there like nobody's business and not having to worry about getting more air into it to keep it from chirping. Yet for all the ease of getting between registers, I haven't had any problem with octave-flipping in the paces I've put it through so far.

It's got a great whistle sound (more clear than chiffy, very bright) and looks just like a classic brass tube with plastic fipple. Nothing fancy. It isn't a loud whistle - certainly a great choice for indoor playing.

The only thing I'm going to have to work on is not pushing at all on the first register (what a unique issue for me!). The lowest octave is there and just as sweet, but too much air and it sounds muzzy (and the intonation goes sharp).

This is a dream and I don't even have to scrimp on my grocery bill this week. Thank you Cillian! Thank you Steve!

FE
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

FE! I'm so very happy for you! That's great!
bob baksi

Post by bob baksi »

Fair Emma's decription of the ease of playability and sweet/pure sound of the Cillian O'Briain Improved D is an accurate description of my own expereince about 6 weeks ago.
Steve's service at Shannaquay.com was equally excellent. Although Steve's posts to this Forum have been criticized for being a little too commercial (valid points), I suspect Steve is just very excited about his new business.[Steve, I mean this next line as a compliment] He reminds of my a pup dog I once had that was just so excited about everything in life, he just spent every waking hour running and having fun. Good luck to Steve & Cillian. I'm still not sure that the Cillian Low C/D combo I also bought, although good, is near the same value
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

A pup dog???

Perhaps I'm just very *yappy* to be of service :wink:

Lisa's message (and your lovely note - thank you), and Bob's and everyone else's complements make it easy to get excited! The critical comments are difficult - but I'm seeing for what they are (hopefully) and I'm bouyed by the fact that they are not, yet, ever made by a customer!

Shanna Quay opens as a shop/Store in Adare on Friday (the 7th Earl of Dunraven is doing the honours and I hope that Cillian O'Briain, Desi Seery and other notables will be present. If anyone hears any 'barking' it'll be the puppy dog in me!!

Take care
Steve
FairEmma

Post by FairEmma »

Congratulations Steve! It's nice when dreams come true.

there in spirit if not body,
FE

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FairEmma on 2001-07-18 15:49 ]</font>