Humphrey Low G?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Humphrey Low G?

Post by Darwin »

I did some searching, but couldn't find any mention of the Humphrey Low G. Has anyone tried it?

I'm sure you have, Gary. Feel free to chime in.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

There's only one of them currently in circulation... #2 ships tomorrow.
While they don't quite measure up to Overtons, I'm happy with them.
What I mean is that they don't have the deep, rich tone of an Overton... maybe I should experiment with aluminum tubes.
They are very responsive and have a lovely tone, but nothing beats an Overton low whistle in my opinion.
Anything more specific you'd like to know?
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Emrys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Humphrey Low G?

Post by Emrys »

Darwin wrote:I did some searching, but couldn't find any mention of the Humphrey Low G. Has anyone tried it?

I'm sure you have, Gary. Feel free to chime in.
I'm the one who has Gary's number one (I think). I got the set of G, Ab and A. I love Gary's whistles and this one is very good too. There's a bit of fuzziness in the tone sometimes--I've been meaning to ask Gary about this--and I'm not really sure if it's my playing or the fipple. But even with that, it has a beautiful tone, it's plenty strong, perfectly in tune. I can't really compare it with my O'Riordan or Copeland G, because it's simply different... a fine instrument in its own right.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

What's the finger spacing like? I had a Shaw low G, but traded it off because it hurt my fingers. (The spacing was about the same as the old Jubilee low D practice whistle, but the thinner tube seemed to make it harder to play.)

I feel the need to get a Humphrey, but I already have 14 high Ds. I don't have even one low G, so I thought I'd check into that.

Hey Gary, want to do an aluminum prototype for me? I do tend to prefer aluminum, as I have an uncontrollable urge to polish my brass whistles. PM me, if you wanna talk it over.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Emrys

Post by Emrys »

Darwin wrote:What's the finger spacing like? I had a Shaw low G, but traded it off because it hurt my fingers. (The spacing was about the same as the old Jubilee low D practice whistle, but the thinner tube seemed to make it harder to play.)

>>The spacing works great for my hands. I am a petite woman with fairly large hands, but very narrow fingers.>>

I feel the need to get a Humphrey, but I already have 14 high Ds. I don't have even one low G, so I thought I'd check into that.

Hey Gary, want to do an aluminum prototype for me? I do tend to prefer aluminum, as I have an uncontrollable urge to polish my brass whistles. PM me, if you wanna talk it over.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

If you have 14 hi Ds and do not have a humphrey hi D you need one. I have several very good hi Ds and a slew of other hi Ds but the Humphrey rounds out the lot. It is very good.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

RonKiley wrote:If you have 14 hi Ds and do not have a humphrey hi D you need one. I have several very good hi Ds and a slew of other hi Ds but the Humphrey rounds out the lot. It is very good.

Ron
There was a long thread praising Gary's whistles a while back, if anyone is interested, it might be worth to dig that up. I think they are brilliant, my narrow-bore hi D is my favorite whistle to play, apart from the Overtons, which are just different animals for different occasions.

I've had a chance to play a wide-bore hi D next to the narrow-bore for a while, and I would really recomend going with the narrow. It is much sweeter, plays more easily, and has a better tone, imho.
/Bloomfield
Emrys

Post by Emrys »

RonKiley wrote:If you have 14 hi Ds and do not have a humphrey hi D you need one. I have several very good hi Ds and a slew of other hi Ds but the Humphrey rounds out the lot. It is very good.

Ron
I do have Humphrey's high D's-both small and large bore. It's an interesting thing, which whistle I prefer. I call it "playability." It's like this: certain of my whistles are best for certain pieces, or for recording, for playing through live sound enhancement, for playing au natural... but my test for the most playability is a simple one (and I know you'll identify with this!)... Which whistle do you reach for first? Which one do you just plain enjoy playing the most?
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

I have a Humphrey E/Eb/narrow bore D set. Wonderful whistles. The Sindt D fipple fits all of these tubes nicely too! So if I'm ever more in a Sindt mood than Humphrey, I just switch the fipples out. But the Humphrey fipple produces a very nice sound.

I have a B/Bb set that just shipped to me yesterday. I wish I could give you more info on a G but sadly have no experience with his G. I may order one in the next couple of months.

I can't say enough good things about Gary. He keeps you well informed about what is going on with the whistle making process. He has very fast turnaround too. I think the only reason I haven't bought more of his whistles is the fact he doesn't accept credit card! :wink:

p3
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I have both the narrow and wide now. Although I like the narrow sound a bit better (only a bit) I get better playability out of the wide. I probably have a bit more lungs than most though.
The playability of these whistles just amazes me. I have a cheap whistle or two that I like the sound of just as well, but try as I might, I can't get them to play half as cleanly. The Humphreys just flat out hit the notes better. A lot of squeeks and tweets just dissapear when I pick it up.
But my narrow bore doesn't seem to be the same bore as the Sindts. I met a couple of Sindt players during Christmas that were able to use the same size tubes as cheap whistles, or so I thought. My narrow bore is just a hair narrower than the standard cheap tube.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have the narrow bore D, Eb set. They are both just beautiful sounding whistles. Last night I took my other favorite whistle, an Alba Q1, and played the same tune on both of them for my wife to see if she could hear the difference.. She said there was quite a difference in the sound but she liked both of them. The one I reach for depends on my mood. I also played a very good Gen D that I have. She said that the Humphrey sounded more like the Gen than the Alba. There have been some that say the Humphrey sounds like the rare really great Gen. I think it sounds nicer than any Gen I have ever heard. However I have never heard a really old Gen except maybe on CD.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.