where to buy a whistle in Canada

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
gdobbin

Post by gdobbin »

Can anyone tell me a good place to buy a whistle in Canada, either in-person or through the internet?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gdobbin on 2001-07-25 13:53 ]</font>
skendal

Post by skendal »

Wil McCauly's page lists The Recorder Centre in Toronto as a place to get whistles. It doesn't look as if the store has a web page.

The Recorder Centre

984 Dovercourt Rd.
Toronto
416-534-7931 -
John Ferth
The best selection of Tin Whistles, Low Whistles
and wooden flutes in Toronto

Steve
Goldie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Goldie »

Well, Noah Herbison is located in Canada. You can find a review about his work in Dale's "Expensive Whistle Guide" and his link is http://members.tripod.com/nherbison
I do not know what you are particularly looking for but his telescopic high D is a nice one and Noah is a nice guy to work with. Hope this helps Brigitte
bob baksi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bob baksi »

As Canada is the world's largest country, buying "in person" will be affected by where you are located. Where I live in the southernmost part, I can either buy inexpensive whistles such as Oak at local music shops, or drive 30 minutes across the border to Glenn Schultz's Metro-Detroit home in the USA and buy a phenomenal Water Weasel (or if budget permits Glenn's ThinWeasel). I've also bought whistles by email(Canada,USA,Ireland)and never had a problem with any vendor known through C&F.
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

The Recorder Shop (John Firth) does not have an online store or website. I spoke with him a few weeks ago via telephone and he said he has a good selection of whistles (I don't recall which brands/models now). His store is more focused towards Baroque music but he carries whistles because they are so popular. If you are in the Toronto area it might be a good place to check out. I live in Saskatoon so its a bit too far to drive for me :wink:

I have placed several orders from The Whistle Shop (in Illinois). There I have received nothing but timely, personalized service - I recommend them wholeheartedly. If you do order from the US just say no to UPS ground shipping - UPS doesn't include their outrageous brokerage fees in the priced quoted so you can ending up paying 2-3x more for shipping + brokerage than with regular postal mail. I made that mistake on my last order - the ground shipping + brokerage was $41 CDN for a package that was only worth $50 CDN. UPS sucks.

Given the popularity of celtic music in Canada's maritime provinces I am surprised that there isn't a good source for whistles in the maritimes. If there is, I haven't been able to find it online.
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Just to clarify something: Canada is NOT the largest country in the world!!

Nico
gdobbin

Post by gdobbin »

Yes! Russia is still the largest country geographically. I found Irish Whistles at a Store called Prussin Music on Broadway Avenue in Vancouver. I bought a D Susato, untunable whistle for CAN$29.00. Thanks for the tips.
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

FWIW here is a list of the ten largest countries (by geographical area); as you can see Russia is by far the largest:

1. Russia: 17,075,200 km2 or approximately 6.6 million mi2

2. Canada: 9,976,140 km2 or approximately 3.9million mi2

3. China: 9,596,960 km2 or approximately 3.7 million mi2

4. United States: 9,372,610 km2 or approximately 3.7 million mi2

5. Brazil: 8,511,965 km2 or approximately 3.3 million mi2

6. Australia: 7,686,850 km2 or approximately 3 million mi2

7. India: 3,287,590 km2 or approximately 1.2 million mi2

8. Argentina: 2,766,890 km2 or approximately 1.1 million mi2

9. Kazakhstan: 2,717,300 km2 or approximately 1,050,000 million mi2

10. Sudan: 2,505,810 km2 or approximately 966,000 million mi2
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

For you BC whistlers, Prussin (on West Broadway in Vancourver) is as good as it gets around here as far as I can tell. They kindly allowed me to sample all that they had, and it was there that I first experienced my first "high" of playing a top notch high end whistle. Their prices are a tad high, but there seems to be no local alternative. Seattle's Lark has a good selection to be checked out on the way to Mariner's games, too. Thank goodness for the internet!

Commerce tip for Canadians... if you live close to the border, you can rent a PO box south of the line and get your whistles sent there (from the U.S.) for a much cheaper mailing fee. Bonus: when I got to the border with my two newly acquired Burkes, the Canada Customs guy asked, "What do you have to declare?" I said, "A couple of whistles." He shooed me away and I zoomed on down the road without paying $52 GST and PST !!

Jef
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Dear Mr. Baerg,

We know where you live and an invoice for $52 will be sent to you soon.

Sincerely,
The Canadian Bureau of Finance.