anyone have some tips for learning rolls?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cramer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cramer »

i can't seem to get my rolls up to speed. does anyone have any tips? or maybe a new way of explaining it that might be better absorbed by my whistle?
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... index.html
This site has some very good, clear instructions......Let us know how you get on.
Sue
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

More specificaly,

How the HECK does one do a Cnat or C# roll?????? Paddy loves to do them on his flippin' recordings, and I just can't get it!

If any of you own "Water From the Well" you know darn well what I mean! First track, first note on the whistle! He just does it over and over and I can't figure it out to save my life!

HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Bri~
Tom_Gaul

Post by Tom_Gaul »

One way to do a Cnat roll is ( o x x o x x ) and then quickly flick finger 4 and then flick the top finger. You should really bounce your fingers off the sound holes to get a proper simulation of a roll. C# can be done with ( o o o x x x ) and then bounce fingers 2 and 3 together and then bounce 1. These have to be practiced because they are not real rolls but can sound like them if done properly. Hope this helps.
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

[quote]
On 2001-07-16 23:50, Brian Lee wrote:

If any of you own "Water From the Well" you know darn well what I mean! First track, first note on the whistle! He just does it over and over and I can't figure it out to save my life!

I'm quite sure what Paddy does on the recording is a "cran" on the middle d (if it sounds like c he might use a c whistle). That is playing the middle d, then quickly lifting first the g and then the f finger. It takes some practice to get the rhythm, but for me it works quite well.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Geeze! Shows what I know huh?! :grin: So it's a cran then is it? And you are most correct. It IS on the middle D note and not on the C at all. I don't know what I was smokin' there, but next time I'll be sure to share!

Is THAT how you get that sustained 'fluttering' tone? A cran? I tried it, and it sounds different than what I hear in the recording. The way I've done this in the past, on notes OTHER than D is to simply lift the finger below the note I'm sounding very rapidly and bounce it off the hole a few times.

Obviously, this doesn't work on a D note, especialy when an octave break is concerned. ARGH!!

B~

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brian Lee on 2001-07-17 10:29 ]</font>
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

Well Brian, at least this is what I regard as a satisfying imitation of that particular sound... I've never really analysed or time-stretched what Mr. Moloney is playing there. Part of the beauty of his style(whistles and pipes) is his unbelievably tight playing and his inimitable ornamentations. Maybe it's better to give in and just keep playing like Brian or Christian or whoever...
israel

Post by israel »

Ok, I need to figure out a cran. I can roll, but when there's not enough time and still want to add, I can't figure out the cran. Any help out there.
Notice: If there is a Paddy Maloney on the C&F Board, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Israel
Stan

Post by Stan »

Here's some information on ornamentation
including crans:

http://www.geocities.com/feadanach/index.html
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Hey Stan!
That site you recommended was really really good. Theres lots of stuff in there that applies to whistling very much as well, and I learnt a few kewl tips from them like keeping the tongue low and stuff. Thanks for recommending it!