beginner tunes?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tephillah
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tephillah »

I know I asked this before, but if you'll pardon my repetitiveness, I need some suggestions for easy beginner tunes. I'm doing a whistle workshop in July for the first time, and am having trouble settling on a suitable tune to teach. Any help?
sbruyette

Post by sbruyette »

Down by the Sally Gardens. This was the first complete tune I learned. In the beginning it was a challenge and once learned gave me satisfaction and incentive to try more.
Susan
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

The beginner-session here (which I <i>still</i> haven't managed to make an appearance at, sigh) plays <a href="http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/s ... htm">these tunes</a>.
<ul>-Rich</ul>
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Tephellah,
For first tune/song I'd suggest one of two songs.
  • Star of County Down (in E Dorian - G key signature and D - whistle)
  • Whiskey in the Jar (AKA: Gilgara Mountain)
Both are slow, both have melodies that your beginning whistler might recognize. Both are songs that your beginers may be able to sing, which will help them learn the melody. They are both relatively slow tunes and have notes that repeat. Notes that repeat in the tune can be opportunities for you beginners to learn a little ornamentation.

These were 2 of the first 10 songs I learned.
You might also want to give them tune samples (at the end of the class) of each type of tune. Give them the tune notation (with tablature) and then play it for them so the recognize it. Here some of my suggestions.
  • Reel(s): The Banshee
  • Jig: Irish Washerwoman
  • Double Jig: Road to Lisdoonvarna
  • Hornpipe: Red Haired Boy. (Some play this as a reel some as a hornpipe)
  • Slow Air: Eamonn a Chnoic (Ned of the Hills)
  • Long Slow Air: Tabhair dom do Lamh
If you need a copy of Star of County Down for a D whistle, drop me a line and I can e-mail you the GIF.

Hope this helps and ...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2001-06-29 13:01 ]</font>
AdrienneB
Tell us something.: Just returning after a long absence to update a profile that's too old to be served a kids' meal. :)

Post by AdrienneB »

Three good beginner tunes that come to mind are:

Dennis Murphy's Slide
Gigue for Jenny
Planxty Fanny Power

Also, there's a really cool tunebook on the web, done for the class at the House of Ireland in Balboa Park, San Diego, CA.

Their page is at:
http://www.uptospeed.net/hoi/

Enjoy!

Adrienne Bengtson
ThorntonRose

Post by ThorntonRose »

A very easy tune to start with, and one of the first tunes I learned, is "Down by the Sally Gardens". Also try these:

Amazing Grace
Scarborough Fair
The South Wind
Inisheer
The Kesh Jig (in D and G)
Blarney Pilgrim
Whisky in the Jar
The Blackthorn Stick
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Tephillah, I'd steer well clear of double jigs such as The Kesh and The Blarney Pilgrim if I were you. In my experience double jigs are not good tunes for beginners because although they will find these tunes attractive and fun to play, they will most likely not get a grip on the rhythm.

I think a well-known song tune is a good idea. I'd concur with the choice of Star of Co. Down -- it has a well-defined rhythm, the range is restricted, and if you play in E "minor" there are no Cs to worry about. A good alternative would be a very simple polka.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

tephillah wrote:
I'm doing a whistle workshop in July for the first time, and am having trouble settling on a suitable tune to teach.
Is that at the July 21 Adams County Irish Festival, Gettysburg, PA?
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
tephillah

Post by tephillah »

Hello and thanks to you all who have posted replies to me. My very first tune was "Banish Misfortune," not your typical beginner's material, so I cannot draw from my own experience here.
Lee, yes. I'll be doing the workshop at the Adam's County Irish Festival in Gettysburg. If you are there, won't you please drop in to say "hello?"
Zookeeper

Post by Zookeeper »

As a beginner-to-be waiting for my first whistle to arrive, a Walton D, I find myself visiting this forum a lot. It's a great place to find information and the people whose postings I've read seem to be willing to help with most anything.

The selection of a beginner's song is one of my primary concerns right now and I want to thank every one for the advice you've posted so that I may learn and decide.

Rick
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

10 Penny Bit is an easy jig.
Cooley's Reel has a manageable rhythm.
They both sound good played slowly.
I'd start someone out on slow airs before tackling dance tunes, though. Popular, well-known melodies, such as Amazing Grace?