I need a LOUD whistle - microfone for whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Spoo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Spoo »

The problem is that when I play whistle outdoors, at least if there is some background noise (just lots of people nearby) I have trouble hearing the whistle myself, let alone anybody else hearing it. My Clarke seems louder than my other whistles, but does not work in those situations (sometimes feels too loud when played indoors though).

The whistle would otherwise be ideal instrument to play drunk during some festivals or something - cheap and portable.

So the question is: what is the loudest whistle on earth and where can I get one (being in tune etc. is optional for my purposes) or should I consider other instrument altogether.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spoo on 2001-07-20 06:44 ]</font>
Mick Woodruff

Post by Mick Woodruff »

I probably won't be the only person to suggest that you should try a Susato whistle. They are loud, durable and, though not as cheap as Clarkes, Generations, etc, they are still fairly inexpensive.<P>Mick
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Colin Goldie told me that he makes some very loud whistles, too (not the standard model). They are all metal, so you can wash the beer out after the session.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I would definitely go with the Susato whistles. For outdoor work, they are loud and unbreakable. There is a consistency from whistle to whistle that is a nice by-product of their material. Parts, such as mouthpieces and O rings, are readily available in case of a mishap.
Cheers to you...
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

I'll third that vote for the Susato. I like the intonation and the volume makes it one of my better session whistles. Be warned that it can be unforgiving in the upper half of the second octave. If you don't play like you mean it your high notes can crash & burn.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

If it wasn't for the price, I'd say get yourself a Water Weasel.
They are very loud, and very durable since they are made from PVC water pipe.
They are also far superior in sound and playability to Susatos... but about three times the price.
For loud and cheap, I'd have to agree with the Susato suggestions.
bob baksi

Post by bob baksi »

Water Weasel (I have c,D,Eb...Bb to be picked up this week) is the loudest of my whistles, about same volume as my Copeland. I use the Water Weasel (and sometimes a cocobolo ThinWeasel)regularly with good sized amplified Church choir and it does the job without special instrument miking. When I need a softer breathy sound, I use my Tweaked Clarke.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Well, the Water Weasel soprano E whistle carries about as well as any I've heard - Kicks the snot out of any D whistle I've played so far. It's also tiny and breaks down even smaller since it's a two piece jobbie.

If you want something a little lower pitched and more Manly looking, The Goldie Overton G whistle is the loudest Low Whistle on earth. No fooling man, it's like the Sam Kinison (RIP) of whistles. Wouldn't trade mine for all of Mr. T's Gold.

Loren
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The loudest whistle I know is the
Susato, louder than the water weasel.
The D is a bit shrill; the C seems
to me the most successful--has a
purity of tone and it carries.
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Susato, Susato, Susato, Susato, Susato, Susato, Susato, Susato, Susato, Susato, Susato, Susato, Susato, Susato, Susato, Susato, Susato, Susato...

:smile:
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
ThorntonRose

Post by ThorntonRose »

Many years ago when I was trying to learn guitar, I ran across a small battery powered amplifier/speaker that could be clipped on one's belt. You could combine that with one of those little clip-on microphones. I used one in a session with a rock band -- played "Can't You See" by The Marshall Tucker Band -- and it worked great.

~ Thornton
Spoo

Post by Spoo »

Thanks, everyone. I think I should go for the Susato set, so I'll also get couple of other keys.

Thorton's idea about mic/amplifier is also interesting, since I have to get the mic for whistle anyway, also for rock band project. By rock here I mean hard rock and some punk. But for playing at outdoor drinking festivals I would be worried about equipment too much.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

I like Thortons idea of getting a very small amp and a clip on mike. It would be kewl to blow everyone away with a originally quiet Clarke Original D.
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

I remember a friend of mine who played guitar having a little amp called a pignose, it was about the size of a shoe box and ran off regular wall current or D cell batteries. He used it to play in parks and other outdoor locations.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

A friend of mine is a professional busker. He makes incredible money just playing around local main streets (one of the area postcards shows him playing)). Anyway, he has a nifty little amp that is designed for on-the-go. He just charges it at home and it lasts him all day on the street. Might be a Peevy, I don't remember.

Erik