Two-pieces: difference between Clare and Doolin?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

For some reason a while back I got it into my head that a Doolin was better. This has made WhOA exceptionally difficult because no one is selling them anymore.

So, you folks that have played both...what are the noticible differences between the Clare and Doolin two-piece whistles?
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I stand by my claim that the Doolin is significantly better. The Clare I had was scratchy in tone, and the Doolin is sweet. Also, the Doolin mouthpiece is a better shade of green. Hee.

:smile: Jessie
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

*sigh* What a predicament. If anyone hears of a Doolin for sale, please let me know... In the meantime please post more comments!
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Send me your address...I'll send you a Doolin. I picked up several in Ireland.

Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

I couldn't get a two piece Doolin from Shanna Quay, they only had one pieces left, and I have to admit I don't like the whistle, so I don't play it.

My Clare 2 piece is fine (when I can find which pocket I left it in), no scratchiness, but I agree the mouthpiece colour is a bit naff.

One touch I like on the Doolin is the flattened area on the bottom of the mouthpiece, that helps stop it rolling off the table.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Wow, Jessie - you're great!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I never have disagreed with Jessie publicly, or privately for that matter. I defer to her status as a senior and fully obsessive collector. However, I've got a Doolin and I've got three Clares and I'm damned if I can tell any more difference between the Doolin and any one of the Clares than I can detect between any one Clare and another Clare.

Dale, who's youngest daughter is "Claire"

Come to think of it, I see a lot more differences among my daughters than I do...oh never mind.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Dale, it is highly possible that I got a really bad Clare. I've only played that one.

:smile:
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

I have a Clare 2 piece and a Doolin 1 piece. The Clare sounded bad until I cleaned up some metal burrs and stray bits of plastic. The Doolin became my favorite whistle. I love the sound and find it easy to play across both octaves. Of course, I only have low cost whistles to compare it to.

I actually find that now I play the Clare more than my other whistles, because it is always handy. I keep it in the car in the pocket they make for sunglasses. I'm in the car all the time because of my job and anytime I have a few minutes I pull it out. The extra practice has made all of my whistles sound better. I am convinced that the skill of the whistler is more important than the type of whistle.

I went to a Sam Hinton concert many years ago and heard him play what he called his ha'penny whistle. He made it out of a piece of garden hose with a wooden plug fipple. He gave me the plans and it was just a matter of sanding a flat on a piece of dowel and sticking it in the end of the hose then cutting the window and drilling the holes. He was able to get a great sound out of it.

I wish I still had the plans so I could check the dimensions against commercial whistles.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

How do you tell if your two-piece whistle is a Clare or a Doolin? I have a whistle that I always assumed was a Clare, but I bought it *in* Doolin! Now I'm confused. :smile:

Cheers,
Jens
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Jens, the Clare mouthpiece is either red or light grass green. The Doolin mouthpiece is hunter (dark) green.

Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2002-01-16 20:54, AngeloMeola wrote:
I actually find that now I play the Clare more than my other whistles, because it is always handy. I keep it in the car in the pocket they make for sunglasses.
They make that pocket for whistles; only the unititiated put sunglasses there.

I can envisage the day they sell cars on how many whistle-holders are fitted, replacing cup-holders as the most important feature. Two for the driver, one for the front seat passenger, three in the back. In these days of surefire gridlock, maybe it'll halp keep us all sane! :lol:
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2002-01-17 09:22, JessieK wrote:
Jens, the Clare mouthpiece is either red or light grass green. The Doolin mouthpiece is hunter (dark) green.
I like to use the terms icky green and tasteful green, but I agree.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martin Milner on 2002-01-18 09:35 ]</font>