Whistlers in Arizona??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lonewhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistlers in Arizona??

Post by lonewhistler »

...the Lonewhistler here. I live in Flagstaff (small college town in Northern Arizona) and I've been here for almost 5 years. I've just recently picked up the tin whistle and I've fallen in love with Irish trad music. As I browse through many of the different topics here in the forum, I notice many posts referring to sessions, festivals, workshops, etc. in their local areas. Well, something tells me that out here in Northern Arizona, I may be somewhat alone (hence the name Lonewhistler). I would, however, like to proved wrong!!

Any of you know of anything going on out here in Arizona that relates to whistlers, sessions, y'know any of that stuff. Anybody actually LIVE around here that I could contact?

Thanks for any ideas you may have.... :)
"...patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings" - "Sweetheart Like You" by Bob Dylan
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Hi,
I'll bump this back up to the top for you.
I know there are 2 or 3 on this forum that have talked about
going to sessions in the Phoenix area.
There is an Az. Irish Music Soc. that mentions them too.
It says they have folk music in Flagstaff, but didn't mention Irish!
I hope the others will write in for you.
Lolly (who will "winter" in AAz. in a few more years and will want to
go to these sessions too!
lonewhistler

Post by lonewhistler »

...thanks for your insight, Lolly. I see that you're not too far from AZ... is there much Irish interest in Nevada? I can understand there being interest in CA, and on the East Coast...but I fear that in the four corners region there may not be too much. Although, I've only recently gotten into all of this stuff, so honestly, I havn't done much research!! :roll:
...we shall see what happens
"...patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings" - "Sweetheart Like You" by Bob Dylan
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Hi again,
There might be some interest in Vegas, I don't know; but up here in Reno
there sure IS NOT!!!!! Its all just bluegrass and country!
Lolly
norseman

Post by norseman »

You can get some good info at http://www.azirishmusic.com/. The venues link shows Collins Irish Pub in Flagstaff, but it doesn't look like there's a regular sessions there.

I'm surprised you're not at the Flagstaff Folk Festival going on this weekend, http://www.ffotm.net/folkfest/. If gas was cheaper, I would have been up there today.

Bob
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Boy Lone,
You better run to that Folk Festival tomorrow. It looks great!!!
Maybe you can get some new friends in your area to play with too!!!! :) :) :) :) :) Tell us all about it too!
Lolly
lonewhistler

Post by lonewhistler »

...well, I didn't make it to the Folk Festival this past weekend :cry: . I worked all day both Saturday and Sunday and by the time I got back into town (45 minute commute), it was pretty much over and done with. Good news, though, there's a Celtic festival coming up at the end of the month and a Ren Fair in July. So, I'll be sure to check those out!!! :)
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I actually ran into a beginning whistle player at a little cafe at the entrance to the Paria Wilderness Area (between Page and Kanab). They were having an open mic night. I hadn't taken my whistles with me (it being a country/western area, after all) but had to admire this young woman who'd been playing for about two weeks and had the guts to get up and play a tune in front of an audience. You never know where you'll run into whistlers!

Susan (who's been to Flagstaff, but not for years)
Monster

Post by Monster »

susnfx wrote:I actually ran into a beginning whistle player at a little cafe at the entrance to the Paria Wilderness Area (between Page and Kanab).

:lol: :lol: Wow Susan, you do get around! I'm going to have to go look for that little Cafe sometime.

Good thing you weren't going to the "Pariah" Wilderness Area, I heard it's not as good! :D
insert uber smart comment here
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Actually, Monster, I grew up in that area and go back occasionally to listen to my brothers (who still live in Kanab and Cedar City) play at that little cafe - out in the middle of absolutely nowhere. In fact, since getting together to play at the cafe got them started playing together as a "real" band, they named their band after the area - The Paria River Band. Every Friday and Saturday night during the summer there's great local talent playing on the big outdoor porch that surrounds the cafe - The Paria River Band being the headliners, of course. :)

One night after things had pretty much closed down and we were waiting while my brothers packed up their equipment, two young men from Page got up and while one accompanied him on the guitar, the other - a very nice looking Navajo - sang "For What It's Worth" in a voice as silky smooth as Harry Connick Jr.'s. Probably the most hauntingly beautiful rendition I've ever heard of that song - sung on that dimly lit porch and heard by only a few of us and the coyotes out there in the pitch black surrounding the cafe, with a trillion stars bright above. It was a memorable experience.

Quite a neat little place.

Susan
Monster

Post by Monster »

Thanks Susan, I will seek it out then, perhaps I will see your bro's!
insert uber smart comment here
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

Hmm. It's surprising to see any other folks on the board with connections in the area.

One branch of my family lives in the area (Cedar City, St. George, Enterprise) - beautiful area (I like deserts), but not too many people (or jobs). Back when my grandfather left the area, I think the railroad (refueling and watering stops for steam trains) was one of the major employers - these days, I'd guess that tourism is the biggest industry.

Much nicer country than the stretch of southern Nevada you have to cover driving up from Las Vegas - I don't know if there's any connection, but the scenery improves dramatically as you get close to the state line. :lol:

It's been a few years - maybe it's time to think about going back to visit.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

No trains in southern Utah any more, and tourism is by far the biggest industry. As you mentioned, DCrom, there are few jobs and this makes for a strange (at least to me) dilemma: although they live in the one of the most beautiful areas on the face of the earth, the majority of people living there will allow almost any type of industry, no matter how much pollution it might cause, to come into the area. I've always said the people in southern Utah would vote to fill in the Grand Canyon if they thought they could get jobs driving the dump trucks. Very sad to me.

You should definitely visit again!

Susan