An obscure recording: Quays of Goretown- The Wild Geese

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

Has anyone ever heard this recording? I taped it onto reel-to-reel in 1976 from a friend's vinyl record. I still have the tape. It's one of my all-time, no, make it, All-Time Favorite trad Irish trad recordings (of all time). I have never seen it in any discography list or whatever. I keep promising myself I'll transfer it to cd before the tape disintegrates. Just for the record, it has the most beautiful whistle backup in b flat to some great ballads, as well as some great fast whistle, fiddle, bouzouki playing, etc. I never thought to post a general inquiry before. If anyone ever has a chance to acquire this recording, do me and yourself a favor and get us both a copy. It's like my Holy Grail Quest to find a new copy of this recording.

I've had barracks friends back in the day, who were mainly unfamiliar with Irish music, sit in dead silence through a whistle slow air that changes rhythm into a reel, picked up by bouzouki, all stare at each other in amazement and mutter, "Wow." (Yes, their eyes were a bit red and droopy. It was the '70's). It still has the same effect on me now. (The music, that is.)
Tony