Favorite tune sets???

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Along the lines of the hardest tunes we're all learning, I'd be interested to know what you guys think make some of the coolest tune sets. you know the ones...they literaly melt into each other perfectly seamlessly!

Some I've tried:
*Out on the Ocean/Swallowtail/Kesh Jig
*Mist Covered Mountain/Shores of Lough Gowna
*Wind that Shakes the Barely/Over the Moor to Maggie
etc.

Some of these work better than others of course. Just curious to know what you all thought works best! I also really enjoy the lilt of a jig running head-first into a driving reel! Tempo changes lke that are great!

Bri~
Arto_Vallivirta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Arto_Vallivirta »

One really great set that we tried with my
band is Cooley's reel/Whiskey before breakfast. Cooley's is played quite slowly since we are also dancing to it but when the dancing is over the fiddle starts to play Whiskey. With almost double tempo. And that's just neat.
In general my personal favourites are sets of three tunes(mostly jigs and slip jigs) where the first two tunes are in minor key and the last one in major key.

/Arto

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Arto_Vallivirta on 2001-06-28 03:40 ]</font>
markv

Post by markv »

The Cooley's-whisky set is one we do as well for contra dances. Another good one in a similar manner is Liberty-Kitchen girl. Kitchen girls is a great dance tune due to the very different A and B parts, makes it easy for the caller. Just put a stop between the two tunes and it kicks in to Kitchen girls with a good pick up in tempo. Another one we often throw in on more complex dances is Over the waterfallDrowsy maggie. OTWF starts out pretty slow but we build it up in tempo then hit 'em with drowsy maggie at full speed after they have the dance working well. Drowsy maggie isn't the best dance tune since you can't play AA-BB for 32 bars just ABAB for 32 bars, but man is it fun for me on the whistle!

Mark V

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: markv on 2001-06-28 09:40 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: markv on 2001-06-28 09:41 ]</font>
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Brian,

Have you checked out the Pub Scout's site for sets. They have a long tune list, like several other groups; however, most of the list is organized and presented as sets. You can find the list at - <a href= "http://rigel.csuchico.edu/%7Epubscout/s ... Pubscout's Tune list</a>.

Hope this helps and ...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2001-06-28 10:26 ]</font>
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Try this one:

The Kesh/The Blackthorn Stick/Morrisons/The Kid on the Mountain

Makes for a long set but its a footstomper for sure.

Also Tripping Up the Stairs/Going to the Well for Water

Gerry

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WhistlingGypsy on 2001-06-29 09:01 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WhistlingGypsy on 2001-06-29 09:01 ]</font>
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

I like Tripping Up the Stairs/Lilting Banshee
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Trip to Killaval/Morrison's Jig (from McCullough's 121)
Cooley's Reel seems to blend with a lot of stuff. The Cup of Tea/Cooley's/Pigeon on the Gate
My favorite is Dublin Reel/Wind that Shakes the Barley (Planxty's "Cold Blow and the Rainy Night" cd)
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

I like "Christy Barry's" set by Kevin Crawford. I'm not sure what are the two tunes in there but I think one of them is "Merrily Kissed the Quaker's Wife". The Chieftain's sets are good too, like Pigtown/Tie the Ribbons/Bag of Potatoes, and O'Callaghan's/Byrne's.

The Cregg's Pipes set, performed by a kewl band called Tabache, is also pretty impressive (when played by them). That consists of The Gneevguillia Reel/Are You Willing/Hanley's Tweed/Niamh's Capers/Cregg's Pipes. Its a pretty long set with reels only.