Parkhurst & Bleazey whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IrishBen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by IrishBen »

Does anyone have either of these whistles and if so, what key and what do you think of them?
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I own a few, but I guess my opinion is slightly biased. :wink:
Dave
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

I'll be happy to unbias the discussion (though I suppose I have my own biases). I have one Soprano D, Dave's quiet model, and I enjoy it.

It has very pure tones and is very responsive. Both+ octaves work quite well. When whistle folks come over, they invariably pick the Parkhurst as one of the top whistles in my collection. Even my wife often picks it (she is often forced to undergo the "which one sounds better" test). Of course, she mainly likes it because it's the quiet model :wink:

I like the feel of the copper as well - probably the heaviest D that I own. It also patinas into a rich brown/red that I find appealling.

My only beef, and it's a small one, is that the fipple has come a bit loose, but amazingly it hasn't affected the sound at all. It just pivots back into position. I suppose I could use some super glue, but it's not a significant enough problem to take the time :smile:

The long and the short: the Parkhurst is a very worthy whistle that I'm happy to recommend. I've never tried a Bleazy (that I know of).

Happy decision making,
Erik
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I have had a Parkhurst for about a year and a half, and like it very much. It's amazing what a nice whistle can be made from a coupla cents worth of copper tubing. Reasonable price too, for a handmade instrument.. Worth adding to your collection.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
kgharper

Post by kgharper »

I've not played the Parkhurst but I just got a Blackwood Belazey (in D). These are initial impressions, based on a few days playing.

Firstly construction. The whistle feels solid, quality Blackwood (with a very slight dark brown graining), smooth acting silver plated tuning slide and a bell bottom. I don't think the picture on Phil's website does it justice. The walls are a lot thicker than my Rose. Care instructions differ betwen the two. Rose says, don't oil, Bleazey recommends regular oiling. Both say swab out after use.

The whistle is louder than my Rose, quieter then my Copleand. It also has a coarser sound than the Rose. Very playable with an even sound balance across both octaves (my Rose is a little on the quiet side in the first) and easy to hit the second octave. With a hard blow it will reach the third octave, though I wouldn't recommend this if you have pets.

The sound, at least to my ears, is improving with playing. Could be due to moisture content? Phil recommends playing the instrument in over a few weeks, gradually increasing the playing time.

I had good service from Phil. He always provided prompt replies to my email, and the wait was about 4 moths (as predicted). I would recommend the Belazey even if you have other wooden whistles. A fine instrument and good value.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kgharper on 2001-12-28 10:46 ]</font>