Fascinating Copeland discovery...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

Just took delivery today of a brass Copeland C from Jim Rementer, was overjoyed to find that the fipple head is swappable with my older brass Copeland D. This gives me a choice on both instruments between the walled airway provided with the C and the unwalled on the D. The unwalled airway is more mellow in tone and whistle-like, with less air requirements and feels like better consistency in tone across the octaves, while the walled airway has more low end and the pop of an O'Riordan. It also seems to me that the overall intonation accuracy and ease of playing in tune is better with the older unwalled fipple.

I've been waiting for this whistle since April, so glad to finally have it! Its really a nice instrument.

Anyone else tried this swap? Just curious...

Cheers,

Michael Eskin
http://www.michaeleskin.com
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Wow, very interesting Michael, I'd never thought to try that. My C/D heads are indeed swappable, I mean one fits the other's body and vice versa.

I haven't tried playing them this way yet as it's not quite 5am here, and I don't think my neighbors would appreciate it. I'll give it a try in the next few days and report back.

Loren

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Loren on 2001-12-25 07:00 ]</font>
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Loren, what were you doing awake at that hour?!?

:smile: Jessie
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2001-12-25 10:16, JessieK wrote:
Loren, what were you doing awake at that hour?!?

:smile: Jessie
Umm....actually, I was listening to Van Halen on my mini-disc player. I couldn't sleep, and I figure if you're gonna be awake, you might as well be REALLY awake, know what I mean? And the cradle will rock! Oh yeah baby!! :smile:

Now, if I could just figure out the rest of "Eruption" on the whistle...anyone got the ABC for that? Chris Laughlin maybe? Or perhaps you've worked out a little Satch? Maybe a little Surfing with the Alien? Heh heh.

Loren "Merry Rockin' Christmas" B.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Heck of an idea Michael; I too am going to try right now. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Regards, Phil O.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Another new Copeland C discovery, I wanted a C whistle primarily to play D minor session tunes (some of the Paddy Fahy tunes, for example). When the new whistle is properly tuned to a C scale and consonant with a C drone, the bottom and octave D's are quite noticeably sharp relative to a concert D drone. Taking a lead from my Uilleann pipe tweaking methods, I found that I can get a much more in tune D by partially taping the bottom hole with electrical tape. The result for me is a much more useful whistle.

I think if you do the math, calculating the frequency of the D in a C just intonation based scale vs. an equally tempered concert D, it works out that the D in the C scale is indeed a bit high.

Just thought I'd pass the info on in case anyone else is fighting with their C whistle...

Cheers,

Michael