Anyone tweak a Clare?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I've got a Clare 2 pc. lying around that I'm thinking about tweaking. Anyone have any feedback on how these whistles tweak up? Just wondering if it's worth bothering with..

TIA,

Loren
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I take it from your lack of enthusiasm that it's not a very good whistle to begin with. :smile:
I've never tried a Clare so I'm not in any position to say whether or not they can be tweaked to any degree, but it never hurts to try... especially if the whistle is lousy to begin with.
Most people have very negative things to say regarding Waltons LBW, but I find that they tweak rather nicely with a little effort.
True enough they're not the most in-tune whistle in the world, but they have probably the best fipple of any inexpensive whistle.
Well, I'm getting off on a whole different subject now so I'll shut up. :wink:
Happy tweaking, and good luck!
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

I found metal burrs at the bottom of the upper piece of my Clare 2 piece when I got it. After I removed them and cleaned out some stray plastic from the fipple, it started to sound good. I tried filling the area under the windway, but didn't like the result so I cleaned it back out.
brownja
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brownja »

Fortunately, my Clare 2-piece was pretty good out of the box. It has a distinctive "gritty" tone, for lack of a better word. But it's in tune, plays decently in both octaves, etc. etc.
Regards,
jb
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2001-12-22 20:44, raindog1970 wrote:
I take it from your lack of enthusiasm that it's not a very good whistle to begin with. :smile:
Actaully RD, it's not bad, it's just that I've been hearing so much about how good a (tweaked) inexpensive whistle can be, that I was considering trying to improve this one.

It doesn't appear to have any misplaced plastic bits arount the mouthpiece, no metal burrs hanging off anywhere, and I've fooled with moving the mouthpiece in and out an the tube a bit - no significant improvements there.

Oh well, no sense in wasting any more time on it I suppose. Thanks everyone.

Loren

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Loren on 2001-12-24 09:32 ]</font>