inexpensive and high end whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tinwfun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tinwfun »

I bought several inexpensive whistles and I am not satisfied the sound of those whistles except Susato D. I never tried high end or expensive whistles. I just wonder how much the difference between the inexpensive whistles and high end whistle in term of sound or easy to play, etc. Anyone can list the differences between the inexpensive whistle and high end whistle. Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tinwfun on 2001-12-22 13:19 ]</font>
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

This is a controversial issue, in that
there are posters here who believe
inexpensive whistles sound as good or
better than expensive ones. (You might
see Dale's comments on this in the
Expensive Whistles section.) It is
generally agreed that a good inexpensive
whistle is a good whistle, indeed.

As a fan of expensive whistles, though
let me say that there are now many of
them, made of different materials (brass,
blackwood, PVC, nickle, even silver).
And there are many different designs.
Hence different sounds. So it's hard
to generalize.

But I will anyway. High end whistles
tend to be well in tune, they tend to
have more volume (though some do not),
and an interesting, complex sound.
Some of them are marvelously beautiful
to look at, often they are physically
durable and tough (though blackwood
instruments tend to take some daily
care). Some are so different from
inexpensive whistles as to seem to
be a different species of instrument,
others are an attempt to take the
inexpensive instrument and make it
something like what it was, but
more pure and reliable.

A good inexpensive instrument is
good enough, probably, but a good
expensive instrument is something
remarkably satisfying, IMHO. The trouble
is that it's very hard to stop at
buying one. Because of the different
strategies and materials, one wants
to play them all. But if you're
looking for info about what they're
like and sound like, chiffandfipple
will help.
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

What is it you don't find satisfying? The tone? the volume? Since you like the susasto I would guess the volume but can you elaborate a bit?
tinwfun

Post by tinwfun »

Jim and Ron:
Thanks for the information. I like the volume of the Susato whitle but it does not have the bright metallic kind of sound that I am looking for. However, compare the others, I am still satisfied the Susato whistle. If I can find an inexpensive whistle has both high volume and bright sound that I will be very happy with it. Do you know any inexpensive whistle has both,or any high end whistle has both if I cannot find a inexpensive one?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tinwfun on 2001-12-22 15:03 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tinwfun on 2001-12-22 15:04 ]</font>
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

Which metal whistles have you tried? My generation holds up pretty well when playing with others as does my feadog. My Clare is quieter and a bit breathier sounding, I like it for aires. Dollin is fairly loud also but a bit finicky with air pressure so it takes a bit of getting used to.
tinwfun

Post by tinwfun »

Ron:

I tried Clarke Sweetone and Original. I bought a Generation G with broken sound, I think I got a defect one. On the message board, a lots of people criticize Generation's quality. I don't have Clare. If I am going to buy a Clare, should I buy one piece Nickel or two pieces Brass? Not too many people talk about Clare on the message board. I don't know the quality of the Clare. Or I should try to buy Generation again with D key if I am lucky to get a good one. Thanks.
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

I have the 2 piece clare and I love it, it is one of my favorites. I know alot of people slam the generations but I love mine, and many of the top players like Mary Bergin and Paddy Maloney play them so how bad can they be?
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Ron, they can be REALLY bad.

:smile: Jessie
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

I'm sure they can Jessie, but I have heard people complain about high end whistles too, sending them back to get them revoiced ect.
True you can't do that with a gen but that is the difference in price.
When I first started playing I thought gens, feadogs ect. SUCKED big time and switched to a sweetone. After a few months of playing and learning a bit about breath control thanks to folks like Mick and Tony and Brian I tried them again and it turned out it was me that SUCKED and not the whistles.
TonyaD

Post by TonyaD »

I just got a Christmas Shipment from the Whistle Shop. New tuneable Dixon High D and SweeTone C.

I must say that the Dixon is the easiest whistle to play of any I have. It doesn't squeak or get clogged. It is not shrill on the high notes. It has nice volume and a pure tone. I really like it. An excellent buy for $25--it far surpasses any of the under $10 whistles I have.

The SweeTone is my first C. Maybe it needs some fiddling. It is much "airier" and doesn't have the clear sound I like. But I guess you can't expect too much for $5.

The only "hand-crafted" whistle I have is a traditional bore brass Hoover. It has the sweetest soft sound you have ever heard. Not breathy. Easy to get to third octave. My only gripe is that it clogs so easily. I live in a very moist climate, and the whistle is always cold at first. Even if I warm it up, I have trouble with condensation. Even so, I would not be without it. If this is considered high end, I strongly recommend you get at least one high end whistle.

I bought the Dixon to have a louder whistle than the Hoover. I think it's a good choice. But my husband says the Hoover sounds better.

I also have a Walton Mellow D. It's okay. Very breathy though. Takes a lot of wind to play. I prefer a clearer tone.

My original Clark is also very breathy and not so easy to play. I don't really like the sound. The cheap whistles I have tried seem to all take more breath and skill than the Dixon and the Hoover.

I think it's worth trying some more pricey whistles. People complain about WHOA, but the way I look at it, if I was buying any other instrument (flute, sax, piano, guitar, etc.), I would pay over $1,000, even if I got a used one. I can buy a whole lot of whistles for a whole lot less than that. And I can stretch the purchases out for years. Why not?
jackorion

Post by jackorion »

There is something about a quality instrument that makes me want to play. What ever the instrument is. I like the fact that someone took the time and care to build an instrument that I'm playing.
As far as whats better, it's all up to the player and taste. A cheap whistle can be just as expressive as an expensive one. I like the Clarkes because they are so easy to tweak. You can learn alot from tweakin em. My Generation brass C is realy starting to grow on me, but I'll still order an Overton C down the road, when money allows.
One thing about High end whistles that you just don't get with the cheap ones are the Low whistles, and odd keys. When you start getting down past F your going to have to go see the smiths.

Jack "where's the money" Orion
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I also searched for a high-end whistle with that metallic sound. I played an antique silver whistle at a festival once, and have been looking for that sound ever since.

When I was first starting whistles, I tried many inexpensive ones, and settled on a Clarke, which I liked WAY more than the others (Gen, Oak, Waltons, etc.). I have Clarkes in C and D now. When I started upgrading, I got a bunch of Water Weasels (most keys) as well as a few Susatos (C, D, low-D and -F), some Generations (G, F, and Bb) and a smattering of other D whistles. I love the Weasels and Susatos, but they don't have that sort of metallic sound that I hear on some recordings.

Then I discovered Mike Burke. I had his low-D, and ordered a low-C, then a Wide Bore Brass D became available on this board. It arrived the other day, and is really close to what I'm looking for. It has a slight breathy quality, but I think it's the lack of chiffiness that really sets it apart from plastic and wooden whistles, and even from whistles with plastic mouthpieces and metal shafts. Now I'm wondering if I will need to get some of the other all-metal whistles for comparison.

Happy holidays, Charlie
Flywhistler

Post by Flywhistler »

tinwfun:
I have a one piece brass Clare, and it is an excellent instrument. You can get them through The Whistle Shop. Mine has some breathiness to it, which I like, but volume wise it is no where near a Susato (which I also like). The Burke Brass Pro Session D may very well have the sound you are looking for, as well as good volume, but not as much volume as a Susato. It is a wonderful whistle. While it is a high end instrument, the Burke is very reasonably priced, if you decide to get a high end whistle. I love my Burke whistle, but I love the inexpensive whistles I own too, including Susatos.
tinwfun

Post by tinwfun »

Year 2001 is the toughest year in my life and probably the same for a lots of people. I started to learn playing tin whistle around mid Novembr. Learning tin whistle gives me renewed hopes, courages and peace, also gives me the strength to face the loss, tragedies and challenges.

Thanks C&F and all the nice people to help me on the message board. I learned a lot about playing tin whistle from all of you. I believe that all of you will continue to help me and give me the guidance in the coming year. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. May God bless all of us, USA and all the countries and people around the world.

Ron: Thank you very much. Your statement is ture, sometimes it is ourself not getting right, it is not the whistles "SUCKED". After I read your message and I pulled out my Gereration and Clarke whistles that I have not played for a while. I found out that the broken sound of Generation G was reduced a lot. The Clarke is much better than I played before. I believe that my practice on the Susato improved my breath control and other techniques. I am playing all these three whistles now. Thank you again. Have a nice Holiday season.
Cees
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

tinwfun:
I have three D's so far. Walton's brass was my first one and my least favorite--too breathy and requires a lot of air. Sweetone D I'd heard a lot of good things about so I was expecting a lot, but I was disappointed in it. It is somewhat breathy, too, and very quiet--almost muffled-sounding. It's also almost half a tone lower than my other D's. Sometimes the second octave does sound really sweet and pretty, though. My favorite D so far is the black (aluminum?) Feadog I got a couple of weeks ago. It is loud, clear, and bright. I really like it.

Merry Christmas!