Has anyone tried the Mel Bay whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jmssmh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jmssmh »

I was just wondering if anyone owns the Mel Bay whistle and how it compares to other cheap whistles.

Joe
aremnius

Post by aremnius »

I had one, gave it away.

When I removed the glue to make the whistle tuneable, the mouthpiece somewhat stayed on, but had a very loose fit. Hence it does not seem to be a good idea to loosen the glue on these whistles.

The body was very shiny brass, and as I recall was fairly heavy, so that was a plus.

Soundwise it was completely average. I don't know how else to describe it. It was completely in the middle of my collection of cylindrical brass cheap whistles. I got rid of it because I found that, although it was playable, it lacked any of the character qualities that would make me want to pick up, say, a Feadog one day and then a Generation that evening and then the Walton's... for better or for worse, the otheres are all distinctive to me. The Mel Bay was not.

Just my .02, maybe some people have had a better experience.

Sarah
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

On 2002-03-21 04:23, aremnius wrote:

When I removed the glue to make the whistle tuneable, the mouthpiece somewhat stayed on, but had a very loose fit. Hence it does not seem to be a good idea to loosen the glue on these whistles.
Or, loosen the glue and apply some teflon tape.

<ul>-Rich</ul>
jmssmh

Post by jmssmh »

I love teflon tape!

Joe
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

I have one. It sits in my unused basket of WhOa whistles. Every once in a while I take out this basket and go through all the whistles. Then I put it back up for many months. So the Mel Bay rarely gets played. Mine has a very bright sound, kind of edgy, raspy, not that clear type of tone. But I think that it could work for someone. It's like love--there is a whistle for everyone.