Jenny's Chickens

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mark_J
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mark_J »

I have always loved the fiddle tune Jenny's Chickens. It was just played on Ceolnet and I wanted to get the tab for it. I found it at:
<a href="http://www.leeds.ac.uk/music/Info/RRTun ... l">Jenny's Chickens</a>.

It is listed under Scottish music. Does this setting match the Irish setting for the key (here in a mode based on the A major scale) and # of parts?

Any thoughts?
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Does this setting match the Irish setting for the key (here in a mode based on the A major scale) and # of parts?
Yes. The Scottish precursor of the tune is Sleepy Maggie, but what you have here is Jenny's Chickens.
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

Thanks Stevie

That is just the kind of info I was fishing for. It is amazing how much lift can be carried within octive and a second. My Copeland A has a new purpose. For my playing, actually, this will be it's first purpose. If the third register A is in tune, I can play some octive-up variations like the fiddlers do. My Copeland's A is fairly quiet so 3rd register A would not be a pain on the ears.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

It is amazing how much lift can be carried within octive and a second.
Highland pipers know all about this...
My Copeland A has a new purpose.
Hey Mark, good thinking, thank you! You made me realize you can play the whole thing on an A whistle using E dorian and avoid having to fake or half-hole the G#s. Mind you the third part is a tad trickier.

Like you I am discovering uses for my A whistle. On the old board I posted notation for Lafferty's Reel (aka The Glens of Aherlow) that I had transposed into A dorian from the usual E dorian, to allow me to get the low notes. The other night someone started this tune. After some calculation I realized that if I used my recently acquired A whistle I could join in using the "new" fingering, and felt very pleased with myself.
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

A fine tune, that Lafferty's Reel.
<ul>-Rich Lafferty</ul>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2001-07-12 17:21 ]</font>
StevieJ

Post by StevieJ »

A fine tune, that Lafferty's Reel.
That's a bit rich, coming from you.