I killed my first whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dan d
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I killed my first whistle

Post by dan d »

That Walton in D that i was complaining about is dead. It is in a better place now. I went back to the same shop to try one more time. I really want a brass whistle .They had two Waltons in brass the same key, they even looked the same, one was seven dollars Canadian more expensive.The only difference i and the clerk could see was that one came in a plastic tube and one did not. Has any one out there seen this? Why is one so much more money? Could it really be just be that plastic tube.

Thanks in advance

dan
glauber

Post by glauber »

After you kill one, the others become more expensive.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

If you didn't damage the tube I hope you saved it. You can replace the fipple with a Hoover white top and have a great whistle for $20 or you can buy a walton fipple from the Whistle Shop for $3.

Killing a whistle is the prelude to serious WhOA.

Ron
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Get some glue and a small file and an exacto knife, and find some thin plastic shims and see if you can fix it ala Freeman style. It's hit or miss, but if you use glue you can scape off, you can try again and again. I have killed at least 4 whistles, and revived every one of them. I just fixed my feadog this morning. Given enough tries, you can make it better than it came from the store. Hey, it's dead anyway aint it? And you may not be able to get a whitecap for a while anyway.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Norm

Post by Norm »

RonKiley wrote:If you didn't damage the tube I hope you saved it. You can replace the fipple with a Hoover white top and have a great whistle for $20 or you can buy a walton fipple from the Whistle Shop for $3.

Killing a whistle is the prelude to serious WhOA.

Ron
Ron has a great idea as I killed the same one last week. Put a Hoover on it and it becomes a favorite. I have a morphed Generation that way, what a sweat tone. Don't throw that tube away. The tube is fine, it's that %*&^* fipple! You have fixed that! :lol:
Cheers
Norm
They sit and chat and laugh n' giggle, then someone starts a lick on a whistle and it's "Katie bar the door!"
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Send me all your dead whistle heads! Heheheheheheheheh
Fopah

Post by Fopah »

what exactly do you mean by killed the whiste? cuz ive been playing my waltons C for about 6 months, and its yesterday i noticed a drastic change in its tone. every other note is sharp, and the whole thing sounds really hollow when played, and the higher notes wont even come out, and they used to come out like butter slides off a hot knife.... does this mean... :sniffle: its dieing?
"There's nothing but our own red blood
Can make a right Rose Tree.'"
-Yeats
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Something stuck in the windway maybe? Damaged the blade? Left in a hot car? (I don't know if that would do it, but I did warp a head with hot water once)
dan d

how did i kill it

Post by dan d »

lets see. sand paper 600grit wet /dry. and more sand paper 600 grit and oh ya epoxy in the hollow near the wind way north end of fipple ,that was not the problem .i think i over sanded had it close to where i liked it and then went too far...sand paper bad , use another whistle good. thanks for the ideas everyone. where do i get a Hoover white top?

By the way i think i allready have WhOA. At what point do i need to get into in a program?

dan
Lawrence

Re: how did i kill it

Post by Lawrence »

dan d wrote:...where do i get a Hoover white top?
http://home.bresnan.net/~mackhoover/ordering.htm
Lawrence
"Well, Scotty, now you've done it!" - McCoy
"Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure." - Scotty
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Fopah wrote:what exactly do you mean by killed the whiste? cuz ive been playing my waltons C for about 6 months, and its yesterday i noticed a drastic change in its tone. every other note is sharp, and the whole thing sounds really hollow when played, and the higher notes wont even come out, and they used to come out like butter slides off a hot knife.... does this mean... :sniffle: its dieing?
Let me see ~ a dead Walton's ......

That's a bad thing? :-? :-?

Mary
(you have to forgive me, I'm no fan of Walton's whistle. YMMV)
vomitbunny

Re: how did i kill it

Post by vomitbunny »

dan d wrote:lets see. sand paper 600grit wet /dry. and more sand paper 600 grit and oh ya epoxy in the hollow near the wind way north end of fipple ,that was not the problem .i think i over sanded had it close to where i liked it and then went too far...sand paper bad , use another whistle good. thanks for the ideas everyone. where do i get a Hoover white top?

By the way i think i allready have WhOA. At what point do i need to get into in a program?

dan
Great canidate for your first whistle surgery.
Make a very small square out of plastic. Something about as thick as milk just material or old gladwear containers. Not to thick or thin. Cut a very small rectangle the same width as your old blade. It will be about twice as long as it is wide. Then sand one (of the longer) edge. This will
replace your old blade you over sanded. Put a small spot of glue on the top side of the rectangle you just made, and with a small screwdriver or knife or file, carefully position it under your old blade, but hanging over just a hair. Try a note or two, then slide the new blade (befor the glue dries) back and forth to find the best tone.
Ps. Don't use superglue. It dries too fast.
Sometimes this works great right off the bat. Some times I have to try twice, or even three ties. But you will wind up with a better whistle than you started with usually.
PPs. I can't take credit for this trick. I searched and read over the tweaks others, Particularly Jerry Freeman, have used.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Fopah wrote:what exactly do you mean by killed the whiste? cuz ive been playing my waltons C for about 6 months, and its yesterday i noticed a drastic change in its tone. every other note is sharp, and the whole thing sounds really hollow when played, and the higher notes wont even come out, and they used to come out like butter slides off a hot knife.... does this mean... :sniffle: its dieing?
No, it likely means it's plugging up from moisture. Do the soapy water in the fipple thing that Dale describes elsewhere on the C&F site. Your
Walton is very likely just fine. Mine did the same thing but works fine now.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato