Flute substitute?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jon-M
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jon-M »

Hi folks. I've never been able to get my lips to do what they need to do to get a decent sound on a flute; I've also never heard a low whistle in person--so, what I'm wondering is this: does a low whistle produce enough volume to allow one to be heard in a session? Also, are fast tunes do-able on a low whistle? In short, is a low whistle a workable substitute for a flute? Thanks in advance for any and all responses. Jon Michaels
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

A low whistle is pitched in the same octave as a d flute. The various makes differ in sound volume. They sound kind of like a flute, but not entirely. My Copeland low d does not carry in a session that includes concertinas, banjos, etc. I've let someone else play it and checked this out. He wasn't that far away, either. Yes, with practice, fast tunes can be played on a low whistle. The first track on Joe McKenna's "Irish Low Whistle" will leave no doubt of that. (A fabulous cd, by the way.) I imagine an Overton low d would carry a lot better. I would argue that a low whistle is a reasonable substitute for a flute if you're having too much trouble with the flute and don't want to pursue it. The flute does have tonal qualities that can't be replaced by a whistle, however. It's a subjective preference.
Tony

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TonyHiggins on 2001-07-10 11:34 ]</font>
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

A low D is an option, but don't give up on the flute. Try to find a flute player who can get you started on that mouth thing (embouchure)-- a classical player will be OK.
The flute board on C&F may have good advice for you, possibly help you locate a willing flute player who lives near you ( I'm in Upstate NY, if you are anywhere near here..)
nickb

Post by nickb »

Hi, Jon. I Think you should persevere with the flute. It may take a long time to get it right (it's taken me fifteen years!) but it's well worth it. A whistle - regardless of whether it's low or high will always be short on volume in the low octave, especially on the lowest three notes, whereas with a flute - once you've got your embouchure technique right - you can actually make the lowest notes louder than the highest ones.