How to Make a Thread Bookmark

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CDon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by CDon »

The old CoolBoard had a nice feature that allowed you to create a bookmark to thread. The new board does not have appear to have this feature, but there is a fairly simple workaround:

Using MS Interner Explorer:

When you are viewing a thread that you want to bookmark, you can add that page (or thread) to your 'Favorites' list. The first time that you do this you will need to create a new 'Favorites' folder at the top level, and name it "C&F Forum Thread" or "C&F Forum Bookmarks" or whatever, and add your thread to this folder. Prior to adding any thread, you need to copy the name of the thread off of the page you are viewing to the clipboard by left-click/drag (to highlight) on the thread title, then right-click/copy in the highlighted text. Then when you add the new thread to your C&F Favorites folder, you can paste the name of the thread into the favorite name text box (This normally appears to default to the name of the main board page, not the thread name). Now, in the future, clicking on this 'Favorite' will take you directly to the display of the desired thread. Simple...

Believe me, this is not as complicated as it sounds. Give it a whirl and you will see.

For Netscape and other browsers, I imagine there is a similar procedure you can follow.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CDon on 2001-06-27 13:02 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CDon on 2001-06-27 13:05 ]</font>
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

CDon wrote:
Prior to adding any thread, you need to copy the name of the thread off of the page you are viewing to the clipboard by left-click/drag (to highlight) on the thread title, then right-click/copy in the highlighted text. Then when you add the new thread to your C&F Favorites folder, you can paste the name of the thread into the favorite name text box (This normally appears to default to the name of the main board page, not the thread name).
I never used the bookmarking feature on Coolboard -- what would've appeared in a bookmark from there for this thread, for instance? The quoted bit above <i>does</i> seem like work a computer could be doing for us. :smile:

<ul>-Rich</ul>
CDon

Post by CDon »

On the old CoolBoard you could display your list of 'bookmarked threads'. When you double-clicked on one of the bookmarks, it simply took you the that thread page and displayed all of the posts (I always used 'display by topic' by the way and not display by thread.) on a particular post, depending on how you were set to view, i.e., by topic or thread. This board works like the CoolBoard topic setting, which is preferable in my opinion. You can see all of the posts to a given topic at one time without having to wade through a hiearchial listing of posts to a given thread.

You doing good!!

A most handy feature if you have some threads to which you want to save immediate access.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CDon on 2001-06-27 14:01 ]</font>
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

Ah, ok. Well, having a list of forum-specific bookmarks in the user profile isn't a tiny fix, so I'll handwave over that for now -- but now if you tell your browser to make a bookmark, it should use the thread title (I think -- tell me if it's weird), so you don't need the cut-and-paste stage. So bookmarking <i>should</i> just be a matter of dragging the bookmark-thingie in your browser o' choice to your bookmarks list, your desktop, your dock, and so forth.

(Tell me if the title is too long.)

<ul>-Rich</ul>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2001-06-27 14:13 ]</font>
CDon

Post by CDon »

Oh yeah!

Well... Yes... The title is in my opinion too long. For example, for this thread, the title should show just 'How to Make a Thread Bookmark' instead of 'Chiff and Fipple Forums - How to Make a Thread Bookmark'. IE Favorites is going to alphabatize the entries and this would get the operative part of the title at the beginning. And the shorter title will be easier to read in the Favorites dropdown selection box.

But if you don't wish to change it, this is certainly a step in the right direction... Thank you. It is simple to just delete the leading part of the title.

And I fully agree with the handwaving approach to incorporating this as a general feature. I'm not sure many people used it in CoolBoard; It was sort of an obscure and well hidden feature, and likely a lot of people did not know of it.
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

Ta-da! How's that look?<ul>Rich</ul>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2001-06-28 01:24 ]</font>
CDon

Post by CDon »

That should do just fine... thank you!!