HELP (please)!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
janoc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by janoc »

I am a highland piper and I just bought a chieftain low D a couple of weeks ago, assuming that after the pipes, the low whistle would be a piece of cake. Ah, misguided wretch! I have really little hands, and after 2 weeks, I STILL cannot make the stretch to the low D, 80% of the time and in fact I don't hit any of the notes with great consistency. Should I try and sell the chieftain and buy a whistle with smaller holes and a shorter spread, or should I just keep plugging away in the hopes that I'll catch on. Has anybody else had this problem? Jan
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Stick with it!

The low D's are a completely different animal from the GHP. Though your knowledge of the fingering position does give you an edge.

Best word of advice...RELAX! Tense hands and a death grip on the whistle only leads to aching wrists.

Keep plugging away. In a few more weeks, you'll find you've improved!

Bri~
adrianh

Post by adrianh »

I had the same problem with a Shaw Low D when I started. Then I looked at the tips and hints on C&F adn started using a pipers grip. I still get the off duff note when I play but that's due more to my brain being starved of oxygen due to the wind requirements.
Please don't think I'm being facetious but if you are usign a normal whistlers grip you my want to try this as you already have a head start with this method.
Be nice to know how you get on,

Keep whistlin',

Adrian
Mark_J
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mark_J »

hold the whistle horizontal. This will allow your fingers to relax by way of not needing to fight gravity. As you get used to the fingering and the grip, you will slowly let your whistle down. When I plan on playing for a long time, I play more horizontally to rest my fingers.
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

My technique is quite simple. Hold the instrument just as a flute player does,to the side and slightly down. Use your little pinky finger for the lowest notehole if you have short fingers.

This style places the fingers in a more comfortable position for playing than strait out from the mouth. The left hand palm is facing up and the right hand palm faces down.

Hope this helps!
Thomas H.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Or you could buy a Bb whistle since it would be in the same key as the GHB. And easier to play!!

Nico
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hmm, lot's of different advice so far. Here's my $.02:

If you've checked the picture of how to hold the Low Whistle on the C&F site, and you're still having trouble (still can't make the stretch) then I see know point in continuing to torture yourself.

You could try the using your little finger on the bottom hole, not the best option IMO but I'll leave it at that.

My suggestion would be to get a decent Low F whistle or pick up a Colin Goldie Overton Low D.According to my measurements of numerous Low D whistles, the Goldie Overton has the shortest right hand strecth of virtually any Low D you can buy. The reach is significantly easier than quite a few of the other Low D's out there.

Good Luck!

Loren