Irish music radio on the 'net?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rich
i see what you did there
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rich »

Ages ago I found a decent streaming music site that had a 24/7 Irish (or at least "Celtic") music channel. I've long since misplaced the bookmark, though.

Can any of you fine folks recommend your favorite RealAudio/Quicktime/Streaming-MP3 Irish music broadcast sites?
<ul>-Rich</ul>
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

Hands down, the best pure traditional/historical web radio is RTE's Ceolnet <a href="http://www.rte.ie/radio/ceolnet/">http: ... eolnet/</a>.

This site CRACKS(in the Craic sense) me up (Hans und Franz pronunciation implied). I listen to it every day at work. I have trouble getting it to work at home and I don't know why. I love it because there is stuff there that you absoultly can't hear anywhere else. They have a great search engine that you can search by track name, track description, tune type (jig, reel, waltz, song), or artist. They have biographies of many traditional legends. I would got so far as to say that this web site is the most important internet resource for Irish traditional music students and enthusiasts.

A more contemporary site that has some good stuff like Flook, Old Blind Dogs, Hevia, Shooglenifty, Bothy Band, Battlefield Band, Denta, Danu, Great Big Sea, etc is NetRadio <a href="http://www.netradio.com/channels/celtic ... ex.html</a>. My one gripe about that is they play way too much Loreena McKennit and Enya for my taste. I listen to this when Ceolnet is down or plays a Sean nos marathon. Don't get me wrong, I like Sean nos, I just don't like to listen to it for more than an hour.

Slainte.
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

Today's killer melodic flute set.

Sporting Paddy, the Morning Star

Unknown Artist.

Use the Search/Search Audio Archive

Select "Reel" for Genre
Type "Banna" for Recording Description
Type "Sporting" for Track Name

Then hit the search button.

Click on the track and listen.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Hey thanks for the link Mark! I've been enjoying listening for the past hour as I work. The past 30 minutes there's been a replay of a Ciaran MacMathuna program from the 1960s with the Chieftains live in the studio. The young Paddy Moloney sounds almost shy and self-effacing!
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

The best interviews I've heard yet were from a 3 part series on the life of Denis Murphy. The interviews were of Denis' friends with his playing in the background. You can get a grasp of his legend by several interview subjects describing with great conviction opinions that contradict statements of the next subject (for example, 'he loved playing polkas for dancers...' v. 'he hated polkas, but he was just too good at playing them. He would never refuse. . ."

There is an old interview with Mary Bergin where her voice is so quite, you can't hear what she is saying.
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

Try freom Elizabethton Tennessee...

http://www.celticgrove.com
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

Mark,
Thanks so much for the radio stations, I am listening now to some Sean Nos and later tonight they are going to be playing some Leon Rowsome, one of Paddy Maloney's mentors.This channel is going to be on from now on whenever I'm home
crubeen

Post by crubeen »

I have to put in a personal plug for 'Hibernia obscura' which is one of the streaming radio stations on live365.com.

The station plays nothing but old Irish 78s. It isn't only instrumental 78s - there are a lot of old Irish tenor recordings too - but if you want to feel like you're listening to the radio in Mayo in 1935 it's probably pretty close.

cheers
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

I am also having problems accessing Ceolnet from home....can anyone help here?

I have no problems with it at work - where I was expecting to have firewall problems - but I can't get anything at home. I downloaded the latest MP7 but it still doesn't work.....

It's a great site! Thanks for the pointer...

Gerry
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

There's a whole bunch of Java and Javascript on the ceolnet site that just would not work at all for me. But if you want to listen to it without having the webpage update with the tune info, you can just open up Windows Media Player, choose "Open URL" in the File menu, and enter the URL
<blockquote>
[url]mms://193.120.248.35/test[/url]
</blockquote>
That might change eventually, so if you find it not working, look at the source of
<blockquote> http://www.rte.ie/radio/ceolnet/MediaPlayer.html
</blockquote>
and see what "streamName" is set to in the Javascript.
<ul>
-Rich
</ul>
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

Rich!
Thans yet again.

I'll try that when I get home.

That brings up another question.

When I am using the search function at Ceolnet and find a track that I like, the URL (like the one you have posted) appears in the status bar. My question is "is there any way to get the status bar text into your clipboard." If there is, then you could paste an individual track's URL into the media player. Just a time saver over using a pencil and paper.

That also reminds me, I copied the returned search list and pasted into Word, which retained the HTML behind the links. I could use the "copy shortcut" to move links into media player.

Thanks again.

MJ
Daithi

Post by Daithi »

http://www.liveireland.com is another good one. lots of venue choices.
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

On 2001-07-12 10:31, Mark_J wrote:

When I am using the search function at Ceolnet and find a track that I like, the URL (like the one you have posted) appears in the status bar. My question is "is there any way to get the status bar text into your clipboard."
Right-click (on the Mac, control-click or click-and-hold) over the link; there should be a "Copy link to clipboard" option in that context menu no matter what browser you use.
<ul>-Rich</ul>
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Thanks Rich,

That helps a lot. I am still puzzled though about why the actual site won't work at home. I like picking out the artists/groups to play specific tunes that I am learning. I cant do this unless I log on to the site.

Actually everytime I do log onto the site I get a hard error on my PC - any ideas why this might be happening?

Cheers,

Gerry
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

None -- but I don't use Windows at all.
<ul>-Rich</ul>