Ashokan Farewell

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Is it really impossible to play this sweet little sucker on the whistle?
mike.r
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mike.r »

This beautiful waltz plays nicely in key of G on a D whistle starting note 2nd oct D and THAT note(yes,you know the one I mean!)is 2nd oct F nat,the only half holer in the tune.Good luck,Mike :smile:
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

The tune works very well indeed, except that you have to fudge one low note which goes lower than a D whistle can handle.
I had the good fortune to meet the composer of this gorgeous tune several years ago at a local Border's Books. I told him that I liked to play this tune on the whistle ( even played it by the shores of the now inaccessible Ashokan reservoir !), and he seemed intrigued by the idea. I can't swear if it's just a coincidence, but about a year later, I heard Jay play it with the Albany Symphony and Mark O'Connor, and the arrangement included a whistle solo...
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

This is the tune that I play specifically on my A whistle because all the people I play with play it in the key of D. Works beautifully there....especially the octave jump in the second part, and the half hole to get the F is an easy slide up.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Does anybody have a gif for this tune?

Mark
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Grannymouse

Post by Grannymouse »

There's umpteen versions on JC's Tunefinder...all in the key of D with parts 2 and 3 that I've never heard before. I just bought the "real" music for this on my way home to TX (It's in a stack here someplace..I'll find it Anna). And I just played it on my A whistle....does work well. Gm
AnnaDMartinez
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Wow! And I don't even have to bully you guys to get it! When I do get it, does that mean I can play as good as Mick? It looks impossible to play just for me, but Sir James and Phil Coulter's version just egged me into trying it!
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

I actually just used this as part of the prelude for a wedding last weekend. My track (thanks, Band In A Box!) starts in Db, and goes to D the 2nd time through. You have to do some fudging with the octaves, but with a little improvising, it's a gorgeous solo piece for whistle! :smile:

Cal
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I grew up in the Hudson Valley in NY, and Jay Ungar's daughter Ruthy was my best friend through adolescence. I am visiting my parents now and I think I am going to see Ruthy on Tuesday at an open mic night she's hosting. I learned to harmonize from spending time with Ruthy, Jay, and his wife Molly Mason, and I was fortunate enough to sing with them on their radio show and in other concerts. Last year when I was visiting, my parents had a music get together and Jay and Molly came over. When I pulled out an Abell d and started to play Southwind, they joined in and we got into a lengthy talk about whistles and Irish music. I am embarassed to say that I don't know how to play Ashokan Farewell. Shame on me!