crans

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Ok,here's a technical question that
I have: how do you play a cran on high
D?

One starts with all fingers down, not
with the left index raised, I think.

My problem is that the cran keep
breaking up--one method that works
is this:

xxxxxx xxxxox xxxxxx xxxoxx xxxxxx
xxxxox xxxxxx

I think this may be from Grey Larsen...
What do you all do?
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

Hello, Jim!

Maybe there's something I don't understand, and, if so, perhaps you or someone else can help me.

I always thought that crans were done on low D as a substitute for a roll, which is not possible from that note. It is possible to do a proper cran on other "lowish" notes, as E for instance, where the top hole is closed, and I do this for effect at the start of "Kid on the Mountain."

My approach would be to just roll that middle or upper D.
Best regards,

Neil Dickey
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Jim, This is one place where it is interesting to leave the top index up. When you do this, the grace notes come out as lower than the D, whereas with the top finger down they come out higher. The sound is quite different. I think the whole thing sounds quite a bit crisper with the finger up, but it's a matter of taste.

For the third grace note you could use your G (3rd) finger, too.

I'm not sure what your problem is, though... What do you mean by the cran breaking up?
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

Jim,
I recently sat in on a workshop with Kevin Crawford and he demonstrated the cran you described. But, he went up from lifting and dropping e, then f, then g, returning to all holes closed in between. Essentially what you graphed, but going higher instead of back down to e. I'd say yours is a different cran, but a cran nonetheless. When he and a female flute player who co-chaired the workshop compared technique, they both did the same thing. It was a rapid flickering movement, barely lifting off the holes. This was all done on the low octave d (on flute).
Tony

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TonyHiggins on 2001-10-10 16:57 ]</font>
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks for the advice, gang.
When I say the cran breaks up I mean
the notes squeal/squeak, especially
the high G. The top-index up suggestion
is very interesting. The cran I
diagrammed above doesn't break up
so readily. I guess I'm an ornament
freak--it's fun to roll the high D,
and the notes are stable, too, but
people have said on the board there's
a cran up there, too, and I want to
do it. Thanks again
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The cran is an ornament associated with the Uilleann pipes, which is my main area of expertise if I may say so. The cran was introduced to the flute (and whistle) not too long ago but has become part of the stock in trade of a lot of whistleplayer (even though some players may still frown upon its use sometimes).
On the pipes crans are employes on low D and E exclusively although on the flute/whistle they work well in both octaves.
In general pipers will play the cran from higher cut (I use cut here instead of grace-note which is generally used for the little thingie where you play the note itself, rapidly the note above and then the note itself again as opposed to the cut which employs only a flick of the finger on the note above (or one of the notes above) the note to be ornamented).
Now, without going into the different patterns too deeply here, there is a variety of patterns of cutting and rythms employed in different tunes: for example the starting E of the kid on the mountain (where the note 'cranned' is preceded by the same note i.e. E in this case) would get what we call a double cran, this is a more elaborate rythmic devise incorpaorating a triplet of cuts followed by a distinct stop in the rhythm before ending with the final a cut.
Various types of crans are well explained in Seamus Ennis' posthumous tutor for the pipes 'The Master's touch', in Pat Mitchell's Dance Music of WIllie Clancy and Pat Mitchell and Jackie Small's 'The piping of Patsy Touhey'.
A bit of reading about music for ye there!

PS, I tried to make the cuts 'break up' but failed to do so, try to make all cuts distintly separate and with short and deliberate movement of the finger, should work well then. I also think opening left index is a much better, less muffled way of doing it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2001-10-11 07:29 ]</font>
nickb

Post by nickb »

Hi Jim. I cran on both octaves, except that I do two beat, three beat or four beat ones, depending on the type and speed of the tune I am playing
two beat :
xxxxxx xxxxox xxxxxx xxxxoxx xxxxxx

three beat:

xxxxxx xxxxox xxxxxx xxxxoxx xxxxxx xxoxxx xxxxxx

four beat:

xxoxxx xxxxxx xxxxox xxxxxx xxxoxx xxxxxx xxoxxx xxxxxx

I did'nt have anyone to teach me to cran.I just followed pipers around and stared at their chanters until I worked out something that sounded about right. I don't know how traditional they are, But they suit me.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks again, Great stuff. Jim
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

okay, would all of you people please please put a snip into the files please...not just the cran, but maybe a couple of bars of a tune where/when you employ it?

Danke
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

tyhgress - I use crans in first couple of bars of the lonesome jig (aka the rolling waves). A lovely tune. Philo
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

PhilO, I don't see the clip in the Clips n Snips. . .am I not looking in the right place?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Sorry tyghress, it's not there. I think I can find the sheet music, scan it and e-mail to you, if you'd like. I'm not set up yet to record; I'm either too lazy, too busy or too depleted by all the floating anxiety here to get a simple microphone and do it.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Thanks, PhilO, but that isn't necessary, as I usually can find what I'm looking for online when it comes to written music. What I can't find is someone who says here is a specific ornament, this is how I play it, and this is what it sounds like in a tune.

Anyone else out there who can put a cran in a tune and tell me where to go listen for it?

Thanks!
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I would like to second that. Sound clips of crans would be great. I am also confused about the rhythm. I have seen crans transcribed with eights and two or three cuts in between, but I have also seen them where the first two Ds were sixteenths, followed by eights, all with the cuts in between, of course.
cj

Post by cj »

I'm definitely no expert, but you might try the Complete Irish Tinwhistle Book (Mel Bay) with the accompanying CD. They have sections on all ornaments, including crans, and they break down the explanation and fingerings very well. It also has some tunes with crans in them, and this might give some indication of how they're placed.