Overton V's Chieftain V's Kerry Pro Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WhistlingGypsy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

I am looking at purchasing a new Low D - I already have a Susato which is 'OK' - and am trying to decide between an Overton, Kerry Pro or a Chieftain.

As I have been able to master the Susato without much problem, I don't think any of these whistles will prove difficult to play, but I would like to know which one is the better whistle....they are all close to the same price $170-$185 at the Whistle Shop.

I am leaning towards the Overton, but would like some other opinions.

Thanks,
Gerry

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WhistlingGypsy on 2001-07-06 13:53 ]</font>
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

Dale's explanation of the <a href="http://www.chiffandfipple.com/whatamess.html">Overton, Chieftain, and Kerry lines's histories</a> might be a starting point. I'd personally lean towards the Overton, myself.
<ul>-Rich</ul>
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I don't have a Kerry Pro, but I do have both Overtons and Chieftains. I personally LIKE the Overtons better, but not for musical reasons. I think the cutaway Overton mouthpiece is more comfortable and has a more refined look, and the Overton finish is nicer.

Musically, and with all possible respect to Colin, I can't really tell much difference. Of course, my skill level is much less than many here, so neither is being pushed in any way when I play, but in this case their shared roots show.

Just my opinion, though.
John Palmer

Post by John Palmer »

Call Colin and have him make you one of his. They are the best.
JP

Post by Guest »

I recomend you Overton.
Colin can make a personaliced whistle for you, with the sound and propieties that you need.

Is better so that you buy the whistle directly from Colin, and tell him about your preferences of sound, presure, hole spacing....

Manuel
Redding

Post by Redding »

One consideration: the mouthpiece on the Chieftain is shorter than the Overton, and therefore more similar to the squat Susato mouthpieces.

--Judith Redding
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Thanks to evereyone for the info - both on the site and email.

Special thanks to Phil Hardy who has kindly offered to send me a Kerry Pro Low D to test drive......it's on its way as I write!!!! Can't wait...........

Gerry