Case to repurpose to hold low D and a few other whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
learn2turn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Case to repurpose to hold low D and a few other whistles

Post by learn2turn »

I want to get a case that will hold my low-D and a few other whistles (High-D, High-C, Alto-G, Alto-A). I figure the cheapest thing would be to repurpose something for another activity. I found a bunch of either fishing rod or firearm cases that are close but either too small to the low-D or way to big in at least one dimension. I want something long enough for the low-D but only 3-4" thick and maybe 8" or so wide.

Closest I've found is -- https://www.amazon.com/Condition-Lockab ... ast_sto_dp

But that is 30" long. The low-D would fit in 24" or a bit less. I like the thickness of that one. It's maybe a bit wider than needed but that's not a big deal as it could easily still be slid into someplace narrow.

Anyone find anything they like?

-l2t
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Case to repurpose to hold low D and a few other whistles

Post by Jayhawk »

What about a padded soft case like this:
https://www.amazon.com/UTG-Homeland-Sec ... 132&sr=1-5

The straps appear to be adjustable, so you could move them around however you like, and unless you're sporting wooden whistles...soft sided with padding is likely protected enough.

Eric
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I've been a long time fan of TuffBags and they are still in production! Check out https://tuffbags.com/collections/travel ... nstruments and contact them if you need something custom sized.
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

I know someone who made a case out of a length of PVC soil pipe, closed at one end with a glued-on end cap. He has it in a canvas drawstring bag with a long tape sewn onto the side, which forms a handle he can hitch over his shoulder for easy carrying. When he's travelling, he tapes another end cap over the top end of the pipe.

I remember him saying it was difficult to buy a short length, so he put out a "want" for a soil pipe offcut on a local Freecycle site.
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

I use a carpenter's saw bag. I bought mine from Bucket Boss many years ago, but they don't seem to make that one any more.
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

I use a case for a camera tripod. Holds low D, low C, mezzo G and a few higher whistles
Oisincooke

Post by Oisincooke »

Take a look at clarinet cases designed to hold 1 piece or fully assembled clarinets.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165763782754

Mine holds basically a full set of whistles from high D all the way to low C, but you do have to take them out their individual cases to get them all in, so they do scratch a bit.
mshakeshaft
Tell us something.: Play all sorts of folk woodwind. Including flutes, whistles and reed instruments. Have a big whistle collection

Post by mshakeshaft »

If you are in the UK or EU, check out Decathlon, the sport shop. They do Gun cases that are great for instruments and well priced.

Martin
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

Take a look at pool cue stick cases. Some open at the end and others have a side hinge like typical instrument cases. Most have good padding.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain