Anyone tried a whistle from PA-Music?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Anyone tried a whistle from PA-Music?

Post by Bretton »

Hi. I tried searching for old posts on this but it kept telling me that "music" was ignored because it's too common of a word.

I'm wondering if anyone's tried a wooden whistle from PA-Music?

PA = Peter Aschenbrenner
They're kind of pricey and I couldn't find any independent, 3rd-party reviews, just the YouTube videos that Peter posts.

So, I used some tax return money and went ahead and ordered a low-G in plum wood, primarily because it was the only whistle in stock.

I'll let you know what I think once I get it, but I'm still curious if anyone else has tried one.

Thanks!

-Brett
Cyberknight
Tell us something.: I live in the Boston area and like to play in sessions. I've played whistle for 10+ years and flute for 6 months.

Re: Anyone tried a whistle from PA-Music?

Post by Cyberknight »

I know someone who plays at one of the sessions I go to who I THINK plays one of those...at least, it looks exactly like that (or very close, at any rate). Made of rosewood, I think. She let me play it once and I was impressed with its volume. It's rather loud for a wooden whistle. Lovely tone, too.

I'll ask her next time I see her if her whistle is made by PA Music, because I can't remember who she said the maker was.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

The one you’re thinking of is a Jon Swayne whistle. Definitely a similar look, but no relation AFAIK.
Cyberknight
Tell us something.: I live in the Boston area and like to play in sessions. I've played whistle for 10+ years and flute for 6 months.

Post by Cyberknight »

bigsciota wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:31 am The one you’re thinking of is a Jon Swayne whistle. Definitely a similar look, but no relation AFAIK.
Ah, that's right! Easy to get those mixed up. :P
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Thanks for the replies! :)

I got a Swayne high-D in Boxwood recently. Very nice whistle with a unique voice. The high-B takes quite a bit of oomph to sound, but the lower octave is super strong, so I think it's a good trade-off.

-Brett