Is Alba still selling whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nismology
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a music teacher and multi-instrumentalist. I had a few whistles in my late teens, and I'm just now getting back into playing them.

Is Alba still selling whistles?

Post by Nismology »

I just ordered an Alba Vibe Alto G from the Alba Whistles website, but I'm a bit worried as I just saw on the Alba Whistles Facebook page that Stacy announced in January 2023 that she was retiring but still producing Bass whistles from time to time.

It seems strange that if that were the case, why would the higher keys still be offered for sale on the Alba Whistles website, and allowing customers to place orders/ make payments? I'm worried that I just paid £141.00 to an abandoned website...

I sent an email to the info address on their website, and sent Stacy a WhatsApp message directly, but I've had no response from either.

Has anyone ordered an alto Alba whistle recently? Are they still operating and selling?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Is Alba still selling whistles?

Post by pancelticpiper »

I emailed Stacey a while back asking if she was still making Bass whistles and she said she was.

I didn't inquire about smaller whistles.

I have, by the way, three emails for her

pictx@me.com (I think this is the most recent)

albawhistles@aol.com

info@albawhistles.com
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Perhaps existing inventory is available while easing into that retirement?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

I bought an Alto G from Alba in early January this year.
Just a few weeks delay while she caught up with orders after having a break over Christmas and New Year, which wasn't a problem.

Iain
Nismology
Tell us something.: I'm a music teacher and multi-instrumentalist. I had a few whistles in my late teens, and I'm just now getting back into playing them.

Post by Nismology »

iain beag wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:31 am I bought an Alto G from Alba in early January this year.
Just a few weeks delay while she caught up with orders after having a break over Christmas and New Year, which wasn't a problem.

Iain
Ah, that's reassuring.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you have to wait from ordering to delivery, and did you receive an email notifying you it had been posted?

How do you like the alto G? I was torn between the Alba and the Kerry Busker, but as I have a few Kerrys already I thought I'd try something different. There's not a lot of info/reviews/videos about Alba Whistles out there, and most videos are regarding older models or the really low bass models.
iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

Ah, that's reassuring.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you have to wait from ordering to delivery, and did you receive an email notifying you it had been posted?

How do you like the alto G? I was torn between the Alba and the Kerry Busker, but as I have a few Kerrys already I thought I'd try something different. There's not a lot of info/reviews/videos about Alba Whistles out there, and most videos are regarding older models or the really low bass models.
I think it was about 4 weeks but Stacey had mentioned that she was not returning to work for a few days and she had a bit of catching up to do.

I really like the whistle, I've not had much time to play it but I'm really glad I bought it. Its my only G whistle and I don't really have much to compare the whistle to. Based on the G I would seriously consider replacing my A and Bb Wild whistles with Albas, maybe even my F Kelpie too.

Iain
Nismology

Post by Nismology »

iain beag wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:16 pm I think it was about 4 weeks but Stacey had mentioned that she was not returning to work for a few days and she had a bit of catching up to do.

I really like the whistle, I've not had much time to play it but I'm really glad I bought it. Its my only G whistle and I don't really have much to compare the whistle to. Based on the G I would seriously consider replacing my A and Bb Wild whistles with Albas, maybe even my F Kelpie too.

Iain
Great, thanks. I saw in the T&Cs on the Alba site to allow 30 days for delivery. If we get that far and it hasn't shown up, I may try calling the number on the site, or the WhatsApp number.

As I haven't had any response through other channels yet, I guess she could be away.

Glad to hear you like the Alba G. Looking forward to trying it out. They're certainly attractive looking whistles. The design looks very similar to the MK Pro, apart from the mouthpiece. Interesting to hear you prefer it to your Kelpie.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

iain beag wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:31 am I bought an Alto G from Alba in early January this year.
That's good to hear.

If you wouldn't mind, could you measure the ID of your Alto G?

I have a chart of whistle bores from various makers but no Alba mezzo/alto G yet.

So far I have

mezzo G Freeman (brass tube) 15mm

mezzo G Freeman (alloy tube) 16mm

mezzo G Burke (alloy) 16.8mm

mezzo G Susato (plastic) 17.4mm

As you would expect the brass-tube Freeman has an extremely sweet 2nd octave but a soft low octave, and the Burke and Susato have big low octaves and slightly stiff 2nd octaves.

The ideal balance for me is the alloy tube Freeman: sweet 2nd octave but full-enough low octave.

Colin Goldie told me he uses two sizes for his Mezzo G whistles, "small bore 3/4 inch" and "standard bore 7/8 inch" but these sizes are far too big to refer to the ID and must refer to the OD of the tubing. Not knowing the thickness of the tubing this leaves us in the dark as to the ID's.

An owner of a Goldie mezzo G reported the bore being around 15mm meaning it must be the "small bore" G.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

I will mention that the various Alba whistles I've owned sometimes have unusual bore sizes compared to most other makers.

Most makers use their Low D whistle tubing (usually around 22mm ID) for their Low C, in other words the Low C is simply a stretched Low D. Colin Goldie, Reviol, and other makers I've seen have done that.

But when I got an Alba Low C she had used the huge tubing she uses for her Bass whistles.

And most makers use that same 22mm ID Low D tubing for their Low Eb and even Low E.

However the Alba Low E I bought used the smaller tubing she uses for her mezzo F whistles. This resulted in an unusually small-bored Low E which took me a while to get used to. In time it became my favourite whistle, such a sweet player.

In light of this propensity of hers I'm very interested to see what tubing she uses for her mezzo G.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Nismology

Post by Nismology »

pancelticpiper wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:44 am I will mention that the various Alba whistles I've owned sometimes have unusual bore sizes compared to most other makers.

Most makers use their Low D whistle tubing (usually around 22mm ID) for their Low C, in other words the Low C is simply a stretched Low D. Colin Goldie, Reviol, and other makers I've seen have done that.

But when I got an Alba Low C she had used the huge tubing she uses for her Bass whistles.

And most makers use that same 22mm ID Low D tubing for their Low Eb and even Low E.

However the Alba Low E I bought used the smaller tubing she uses for her mezzo F whistles. This resulted in an unusually small-bored Low E which took me a while to get used to. In time it became my favourite whistle, such a sweet player.

In light of this propensity of hers I'm very interested to see what tubing she uses for her mezzo G. It could be in the middle, or unusually narrow, or unusually wide.
I was actually on your YT channel the other day watching your demo of the Alba bass A and Goldie low C. I saw the Alba low E sitting in your whistle roll. Do you have any videos of you playing the low E? (Or would you be willing to record one? :poke: )
iain beag

Post by iain beag »

I have a chart of whistle bores from various makers but no Alba mezzo/alto G yet.
The internal is 15.5mm
external diameter is 19.05mm

Iain
Oisincooke

Post by Oisincooke »

pancelticpiper wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:26 am
That's good to hear.

So far I have

mezzo G Freeman (brass tube) 15mm

mezzo G Freeman (alloy tube) 16mm

mezzo G Burke (alloy) 16.8mm

mezzo G Susato (plastic) 17.4mm

As you would expect the brass-tube Freeman has an extremely sweet 2nd octave but a soft low octave, and the Burke and Susato have big low octaves and slightly stiff 2nd octaves.

The ideal balance for me is the alloy tube Freeman: sweet 2nd octave but full-enough low octave.

Colin Goldie told me he uses two sizes for his Mezzo G whistles, "small bore 3/4 inch" and "standard bore 7/8 inch" but these sizes are far too big to refer to the ID and must refer to the OD of the tubing. Not knowing the thickness of the tubing this leaves us in the dark as to the ID's.

An owner of a Goldie mezzo G reported the bore being around 15mm meaning it must be the "small bore" G.
Slightly off topic, but I’ve just measured the ID of my Goldie G, which appears to be one of his wider bore models at 19mm.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Thanks all for the additional data points, I think I need a bigger chart!

So we have Goldie mezzos in A and G using 15mm bore, and Goldie mezzos in G and F measured with 18.2mm, 18.5mm, and 19mm bores. (I wonder whether Colin's batches of tubing have varied a bit, or people are measuring slightly differently.)

And I have Overton and Goldie low whistles in E, D, and C measured between 21.5mm and 21.9mm.

Alba, using that smaller 18.5mm tubing for her Low E, has come up with a superb whistle.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Oisincooke

Post by Oisincooke »

pancelticpiper wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:28 am Thanks all for the additional data points, I think I need a bigger chart!

So we have Goldie mezzos in A and G using 15mm bore, and Goldie mezzos in G and F measured with 18.2mm, 18.5mm, and 19mm bores. (I wonder whether Colin's batches of tubing have varied a bit, or people are measuring slightly differently.)

And I have Overton and Goldie low whistles in E, D, and C measured between 21.5mm and 21.9mm.

Alba, using that smaller 18.5mm tubing for her Low E, has come up with a superb whistle.
I have a whole flock of Goldies in various keys if you want measurements on any more.
Nismology

Post by Nismology »

Happy to say that my Alba Alto G whistle arrived early this morning.

I phoned Stacy last week, just to check my order had been received and she confirmed the whistle had been made and was ready to send out. She said that she was a bit behind due to poor health. So in total order placed 24th March and received 8th April ~2 weeks. Not bad at all actually. It was just the Facebook post announcing her retirement that had me worried.

The whistle looks very nice. It has a narrower bore than I expected and is markedly narrower than my OS Chieftain Alto G, and the tube would probably fit comfortably inside the tubing of my Reviol A. You can tell it's handmade as the cut of the holes isn't quite as C&C perfect as my Chieftains, and the G stamp at the foot of the whistle isn't centred. It has an orange and brown fipple block.

It didn't come with a case. There was a note in the packaging apologising that they've become too costly to supply with a whistle. Would be nice if they at least came with a cheap sliding plastic case like Dixon and Kerry whistles come in.

The tuning slide has PTFE tape on it, though is a little loose for my liking so I'll add some more when I get home tonight.

Only had a very quick blast on it, but it sounds nice, with a sweet sound. Will spend some time getting to know it this week.