Narrow Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Hauke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm an old folkie, play some instruments and made some own things, like different genres and play scottish and Irish music for over 30 years.

Narrow Low D

Post by Hauke »

Hi folks.
Looking for a narrow bore low D whistle without heavy wind noise. Holes may be not too big.
Any recommendations from you experts?
🤗🤗🤗
Hauke
Kedster
Tell us something.: I'm here to explore whistles! Traditional Turkish flute (Ney) player originally, racking my melancholic neys for the sweeter and more jovial whistles!

Re: Narrow Low D

Post by Kedster »

Goldie makes fine narrow bores, we have a medium-hard blower narrow low d and I wouldn't say it's tone is breathy (windy noise) at all, very reedy in fact. Holes are perfectly fine.
Hauke
Tell us something.: I'm an old folkie, play some instruments and made some own things, like different genres and play scottish and Irish music for over 30 years.

Post by Hauke »

Sounds good. Although Goldie is one of the most expensive ones. Does any other brand exist?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Here's a discussion from a while back

https://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewt ... p?t=114397
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Hauke

Post by Hauke »

pancelticpiper wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:05 am Here's a discussion from a while back

https://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewt ... p?t=114397
Thank you. 😊
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I own a Goldie narrow bore low D, with a medium hard blower mouthpiece. While I consider the overall sound of the whistle to be more complex in overtones over that of some low D's, it is in line with all Goldie instruments. I would not call it scratchy or breathy.
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Hauke

Post by Hauke »

Thanks Byll. 😊
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes getting a Goldie Narrow Bore Low D is on my bucket list!

BTW Byll I don't know how your name is supposed to be pronounced but in my head I'm pronouncing it to rhyme with the last syllable of Llanfairpwll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxO0UdpoxM
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

The only other maker I can think of who might make a narrow bore low D (as a custom job) would be John Bushby at Shearwater Whistles. I've seen mention of NB Shearwaters as low as G but not low Ds, so far. Might be worth asking.

I have a Goldie NB low D (1.0 windway), which is my go-to whistle for the higher register. As for tone, it's usually described as 'throaty' with perhaps more audible overtones than other low Ds. Also, the whistle I have was made in 2015, so the newer ones may have undergone some subtle design changes since then.
Hauke

Post by Hauke »

Great! Thank you stiofan. 😊
David Cooper
Tell us something.: I'm about to have a go at making wooden flutes based on a quena - I want to experiment with changing the hole sizes and locations to make one that's more comfortable to play. I just received an auger through the post today, and there are blown-down trees in the garden waiting to be repurposed, so I'll try to make a start on my first prototype at the weekend.

Post by David Cooper »

How narrow is the Goldie narrow bore low D in millimetres?
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

David Cooper wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:38 am How narrow is the Goldie narrow bore low D in millimetres?
My Goldie narrow-bore tenor D has an interior dimension of 20mm. I'm pretty sure that's the same bore size as the alto F (at least in 2015).
David Cooper
Tell us something.: I'm about to have a go at making wooden flutes based on a quena - I want to experiment with changing the hole sizes and locations to make one that's more comfortable to play. I just received an auger through the post today, and there are blown-down trees in the garden waiting to be repurposed, so I'll try to make a start on my first prototype at the weekend.

Post by David Cooper »

stiofan wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:51 pm
David Cooper wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:38 am How narrow is the Goldie narrow bore low D in millimetres?
My Goldie narrow-bore tenor D has an interior dimension of 20mm. I'm pretty sure that's the same bore size as the alto F (at least in 2015).
Thanks for that information - that happens to be the internal diameter I chose for an experimental low D whistle that I'm currently building, so I'll now know not to blame the size if it doesn't sound good.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

My Goldie Mezzo/Alto F measures at 18.16mm.

My Goldie Low D measures at 21.8mm while the Low E (natural) Overton I used to have measured 21.9mm.

My Alba Low E (natural) measures 18.4mm and is a very sweet player.

An example of how wide-bore Burkes are for a given size is the Burke Mezzo/Alto F that I owned which measured 19.8mm.

I didn't measure the Burke Low D that I used to have but someone said his was around 23mm which goes to figure.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
David Cooper

Post by David Cooper »

pancelticpiper wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:41 am My Goldie Mezzo/Alto F measures at 18.16mm.

My Goldie Low D measures at 21.8mm while the Low E (natural) Overton I used to have measured 21.9mm.

My Alba Low E (natural) measures 18.4mm and is a very sweet player.

An example of how wide-bore Burkes are for a given size is the Burke Mezzo/Alto F that I owned which measured 19.8mm.

I didn't measure the Burke Low D that I used to have but someone said his was around 23mm which goes to figure.
Thanks - that's all really helpful too. I've been making wooden whistle heads (mouthpiece converters) for quenas and quenillas and it's hit or miss as to what works, so it's important to know which factors not to blame. Got one good one at last for a high C quenilla. Now need to start from scratch for the low D.