Labu Whistles Review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kedster
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here to explore whistles! Traditional Turkish flute (Ney) player originally, racking my melancholic neys for the sweeter and more jovial whistles!

Labu Whistles Review

Post by Kedster »

So there is no discussion about these products which is why I decided to post my experience with these whistles.

I've got the Celtic bundle here: https://www.labuflutes.com/product/celt ... histle-set

Ordered on Dec 12, arrived in Turkey Jan 18.

First a few nitpicking: First of all, I would've ordered the Guru Series (and I have already ordered another set) because for some reason, this set doesn't have E / Indian A whistle in it, and Guru Series has all 12 keys. Kind of odd.

Secondly, I wanted to contact the makers to see if I could have the whistles made in 432 instead. English is not their native language, I pestered for a month then gave up and cancelled my order due to not being able to communicate properly. They reached out back to me offering apologies, wanted to send the order and a few extra guru whistles for compensation and I agreed. And I'm very glad to have agreed.

For good things, these whistles are extremely inexpensive for their quality. If you have a severe case of WOAD, it's a great way to get a full collection for the price of like one and a half Killarney.

Celtic set starts with Low F, going up to High D and then F#. I'd say first six low whistles are quiter especially on the second octave compared to metal whistles. The volume dif between octaves is very reasonable.

High Whistles are kind of louder than the regular metal whistles I have. High D for example is definitely louder than my Killarney, but not so loud to be shrill. Very solid first octave too.

In general, the second octaves are a pleasure to play, very mellow, very quiet on the lowest end of the collection. The tone of the whistles are, unsurprisingly, very reedy, as they're made of, well, reed. They are very responsive and handle ornamentations very well.

Finally, the tuning. I think the tuning could've been a bit better, but it's not so bad - I'd give the tuning overall 7.5/10, you can play everything in tune for 440hz with a little practice, and there's no glaring off-notes especially in upper octaves, and seeing how responsive these instruments are it's very easy to play them in tune, there's plenty of room for note bending with breath - but yeah, still the tuning isn't seemlessly en-pointe, so it bears to mention. Might just be my getting used to 12 new whistles at once too.

As for Cnat, with low F, F# and G, oxxooo works like a charm. For everything else oxxxxo works pretty well.

And finally the seventh hole. This is major 7th so C# on a D whistle. With a little adjustment it's very easy to cover the hole with your pinky, which adds for some sweet possibilities.

Now, I'm not an ITM musician save for the occasional Wellerman tune, so I wouldn't be able to say how these work for itm sessions. For a general world music enjoyer, a dilettante whistler, the eclectic blower, I say these are some of the best things you can get for the money. My Mk Kelpie costs more than the entire collection and that's just mind boggling. Also, you could very well just buy one or two whistles, literally for pennies.

So I'm a very happy camper. I know there were reviews by Cutiepie and Whistletutor (Angelic Beaver oh where art thou?!) but not for the whole range, nor has there been a discussion thread on forums for these whistles so here we go, feel free to post anything you kight wanna ask, cheers!