Double hole whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DanteM
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm the flute maker. My interests is to make new, experimental musical instruments - flutes, whistles - from wood, metall, plastic. Your forum is very ineresting for me. So many info I've never seen.

Re: Double hole whistles?

Post by DanteM »

David Cooper wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 pm The photo's there, so that works. I'd love to hear more detail about how it covers the 12 chromatic notes, and about the cool slides. It sounds interesting, and especially the elliptic aspects.
I'll try to record a video. It's better to hear.

In short... Do you have an Irish flute? How are things going with half-covers? The answer is no. We have bad sound!

- On elliptical holes, we maintain the shape of the hole by reducing it with our finger. Like a recorder's bottom holes ;-)
- On the Irish flute we get a thin gap - but the air doesn’t like that! This is a thumb hole recorder effect.

Therefore, on my Irish flute in D, I want to make the lower hole E elliptical as well! Like the top one. ;-) It let me the better control on D# and the 2-nd octave (like recorder's thumb hole), when it's necessary.

https://youtu.be/0oGB5pzbvGo
https://youtu.be/jO4pzSdJECE
David Cooper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm about to have a go at making wooden flutes based on a quena - I want to experiment with changing the hole sizes and locations to make one that's more comfortable to play. I just received an auger through the post today, and there are blown-down trees in the garden waiting to be repurposed, so I'll try to make a start on my first prototype at the weekend.

Re: Double hole whistles?

Post by David Cooper »

DanteM wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:49 am
David Cooper wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 pm The photo's there, so that works. I'd love to hear more detail about how it covers the 12 chromatic notes, and about the cool slides. It sounds interesting, and especially the elliptic aspects.
I'll try to record a video. It's better to hear.

In short... Do you have an Irish flute? How are things going with half-covers? The answer is no. We have bad sound!

- On elliptical holes, we maintain the shape of the hole by reducing it with our finger. Like a recorder's bottom holes ;-)
- On the Irish flute we get a thin gap - but the air doesn’t like that! This is a thumb hole recorder effect.

Therefore, on my Irish flute in D, I want to make the lower hole E elliptical as well! Like the top one. ;-) It let me the better control on D# and the 2-nd octave (like recorder's thumb hole), when it's necessary.
On half of my flutes (quenas and quenillas), "half" covering the lowest hole creates a better note than normal - it seems to hit a particularly strong resonance in the tube which makes half-holing that note extra attractive. I normally make my flutes with big holes though (e.g. 11mm for the lowest hole), so even when half-holing there's still a good size of opening left, and all the notes work well that way. Making some of the holes more elongated would likely do no harm though, and should have benefits on smaller-holed instruments, so I'll try it. Having elliptical holes aligned with their longer length round the tube should also enable big holes that are easier to cover, making more powerful instruments practical for people with thinner fingers, though it may cause a bit more disruption to air flow within the tube - not a problem for the lower holes, but such a degradation in sound quality may add up to a significant amount if it's done for all five of the full-tone holes.