Low D brass whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Low D brass whistle

Post by pancelticpiper »

paddler wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:40 pm I would have liked it even more if it had a slightly narrower bore...I feel that way about all the low D whistles I've tried.
Yes it's a tricky compromise with Low D's.

What I want to try is a Colin Goldie narrow bore Low D. It might be the perfect Low D for narrow-bore fans like us.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
David Cooper
Tell us something.: I'm about to have a go at making wooden flutes based on a quena - I want to experiment with changing the hole sizes and locations to make one that's more comfortable to play. I just received an auger through the post today, and there are blown-down trees in the garden waiting to be repurposed, so I'll try to make a start on my first prototype at the weekend.

Post by David Cooper »

In that case, I'll try 22mm as well (which can also be built on a standard size pipe) and focus on getting both 20mm and 22mm up to the best quality I can, then I'll be able to explore sizes in between later and try to evolve them towards an ideal. Thanks Paddler and Tunborough for the helpful information.
Greg Connor
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

thebresker wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:14 pm I'm looking for a Low D brass whistle
I share your affection for brass whistles and am also amazed we don’t see more of them. You might ask Phil Hardy (chieftain/Kerry). I know he made a few Low Ds with aluminum head and brass tube.

I have one of his Chieftain Gold Low D whistles. I solved the weight problem by clipping a thumb rest on it. Good luck in your quest.

Greg