Why is the price of pre-owned sindt so high?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Zeng Fengbo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi everyone, I'm from China, I love Irish music and I love Irish whistle. We also have our own flute in China, we have our own traditions, but the Irish whistle flute has a more novel and joyful feel, which makes me curious, so I started learning to play the Irish whistle about a year ago, and now it's at the beginner level. I hope to come to this forum to find out what I want to know about Irish music and Irish whistles, and if I have the chance, I hope to buy some legendary Irish whistles. There are also some individuals or businesses in China who make Irish whistles, but not many people do it well. Anyway, perhaps, through this forum, I can learn more about the Irish whistle. Thank you so much.

Why is the price of pre-owned sindt so high?

Post by Zeng Fengbo »

I've noticed that it costs $700 to buy a sindt at some pre-owned store or other pre-owned vendors, is it worth that price? What is unique about Sindt Whistles?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Why is the price of pre-owned sindt so high?

Post by pancelticpiper »

They're excellent whistles.

About $700, wasn't somebody selling a Sindt they said was Sterling Silver? I don't remember.

I've picked up a couple used Sindts for reasonable prices, for example a one-head three-body set for B natural, B flat, and A. I think I paid around $200.

I picked up a used Sindt D for around the same price.

All of these whistles were great players, but I ended up selling them because I liked my vintage Generations and Feadogs a tad better.

Now, if Jon stopped making whistles it would be a different story and the prices would climb much higher.

There's a Highland pipe maker who has gone through cycles like so:

1) take orders, make and deliver pipes.

2) announce he's quitting, close his books, finish and deliver the last orders on the books.

3) start publicly complaining that his used pipes are being sold at exorbitant prices.

4) suddenly open his books and start making pipes again.

(repeat)

I'm not suggesting that Jon is doing, has done, or would ever consider doing such a thing. I'm just saying that when makers do stop taking orders the prices rise as one would expect.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Zeng Fengbo
Tell us something.: Hi everyone, I'm from China, I love Irish music and I love Irish whistle. We also have our own flute in China, we have our own traditions, but the Irish whistle flute has a more novel and joyful feel, which makes me curious, so I started learning to play the Irish whistle about a year ago, and now it's at the beginner level. I hope to come to this forum to find out what I want to know about Irish music and Irish whistles, and if I have the chance, I hope to buy some legendary Irish whistles. There are also some individuals or businesses in China who make Irish whistles, but not many people do it well. Anyway, perhaps, through this forum, I can learn more about the Irish whistle. Thank you so much.

Post by Zeng Fengbo »

Thank you very much for your honest and kind answer. I think I've learned something.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Anything (ie an instrument) sells at a very high price just because people are willing to pay it.
It is the basement of capitalism.
Rarity equals value.

I once sold an instrument I bought at $350 for $1000. I got some ragging for it, but that extra $750
was useful.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

And as we know it's the case with musical instruments that it's not just who made them, but when they made them.

Every Sax player I know plays a 1954-1962 Selmer Mark VI.

So it goes with whistles- people who have played a load of whistles from a particular maker can probably distinguish between various iterations.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

"And as we know it's the case with musical instruments that it's not just who made them, but when they made them."

Truth! I got a Syn whistle, sold it to someone who raved over it, then tried to buy another. Not the same, not the
same at all even tho they looked the same. Finally found an 'original' Syn and was satisfied that I had replaced
it.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Tyghress wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:29 pm Finally found an Original Syn and was satisfied...
I see what you did there.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle