Went nuts and bought the Water Weasel from the Irish Flute Store

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Went nuts and bought the Water Weasel from the Irish Flute Store

Post by Jayhawk »

So, after, what is it now, one or two decades of regret for not buying a Water Weasel from Glenn himself, I jumped into the deep end and picked up the one that popped up for sale on the Irish Flute Store site. I know the Bb Water Weasel Turlach Boylan plays is one of my favorite whistles of all time, so I hope the high D is as charming itself.

I haven't been this excited to get a new whistle in some time! Just had to share.

Eric
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Re: Went nuts and bought the Water Weasel from the Irish Flute Store

Post by Byll »

Memories... After Glenn died, I developed a need for a light, relatively bullet-proof high D. I wrote to Glenn, and his daughter answered my note. She had gone into his shop, and found both a high D and C Water Weasel, with different color fipple blocks. I purchased both. Those two instruments have been in the sub-basement studio for quite a long time, for when I need a reliable whistle to use for a practice session. I respect them, and Glenn's artistry with pieces of PVC... I hope you enjoy your Water Weasel.
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

I owned one 'thin weasel' that was a lovely whistle, and more than a few 'water weasels'. A high D that was white with a red plug, and was one of my all time favorites that I should have kept and didn't. I kept a gray bflat that's really very nice, too.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Just got back home from Baltimore and the whistle was waiting for me. What a great whistle! I can't wait to break it out at session tomorrow.

Eric
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I bought a Water Weasel last year(?) from someone selling it on FB...a lot of comments on the post were like "Who would pay that for a plastic whistle??"

But when I got it, I posted a clip, and they were all "oh yeah, i get it now" lol
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Cyberknight
Tell us something.: I live in the Boston area and like to play in sessions. I've played whistle for 10+ years and flute for 6 months.

Post by Cyberknight »

So what makes it great? I'm curious to hear the good things about it. :)
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Cyberknight wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:29 am So what makes it great? I'm curious to hear the good things about it. :)
It's wonderfully in tune, and being CPVC it warms up quickly, which is nice during gigs. It also doesn't clog up with condensation easily. I love the tone. It's not overly loud, which some of the plastic whistles are (I'm talking to you Susato!). It's playability reminds me of those old generations many of us love. It's truly just a joy to play.

Eric