Digital bagpipes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wheestle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m a beginner with a very little amount of experience. I’m learning from online sources but I have questions I want to ask and this forum looks like a good place to start

Digital bagpipes

Post by Wheestle »

I’m an ‘improving beginner’ with whistle and I’m thoroughly enjoying playing. Are art from High D I have a Low D and Low G whistle and I’m learning to use the ‘Piper’s Grip’ Whilst watching YouTube videos for learning and inspiration I found an intriguing video about the ‘Blair Digital Chanter’. Bagpipes without a bag and obviously the origin of the Piper’s Grip! My question is, how easy would it be to apply skills I learn on the whistle to a digital chanter? Are they similar or are they a world apart? Christmas is coming and I have a very generous wife…
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Re: Digital bagpipes

Post by stiofan »

Probably worth posting your query over on Non-Uilleann Piping forum the as well. I imagine some folks on that forum, particularly GHB players, would have some feedback for you. Looks like there was one sold on the forum in 2020.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Digital bagpipes

Post by pancelticpiper »

Stiofan's correct, this is a GHB matter rather than a whistle matter.

The Blair digital pipes, and many others, are specifically designed to use GHB (Great Highland Bagpipe) fingering.

However there are digital pipes designed for uilleann fingering, Spanish gaita fingering, and so forth.

Whichever of these a whistle player gets, it will involve learning some bagpipe fingerings. The gaita is the closest to the whistle, using "open" fingering, unlike the GHB and the Uilleann pipes.

Irish flute and whistle players might feel more at home with an ordinary MIDI Wind Controller. These can often be set to recognise Boehm flute fingering, sax fingering, and clarinet fingering. I don't know if there are Wind Controllers that can recognise Baroque flute, Recorder, Irish flute, or whistle.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle