The Introduction of Irish Whistle Tuning Slides?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: The Introduction of Irish Whistle Tuning Slides?

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:29 am You are making a lot of assumptions there. I don't think there were any metal whistles before the mid 19th century. I have yet to see any tuning slides in older whistles : the first tuneable whistles were the Generations when they adopted the plastic heads in the early 1950s. Proper slides weren't seen before the final quarter of the last century.
Very few old metal whistles have anything to associate them with Ireland. The ones available here were usually British made, available in Ireland in hardware shops etc. Whistles in celluloid, metal and occasionally wood were available on the continent but didn't cross the channel. They were, on the main, cheap and mass produced. Without slides.
This is quite possibly ignorance on my part here, but ...

I have a metal whistle, with 5 keys and a tuning slide, and I always thought it was olde3r than the 1950s. Do I remember you mentioning those things at some point on this forum? Am I wrong about their age?
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: The Introduction of Irish Whistle Tuning Slides?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I haven't seen older whistles with tuning slides. My keyed metal whistle is a one piece. If there are any, I stand corrected.
My brain hurts