Mack Hoover Updates

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rubenroks12
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Mack Hoover Updates

Post by rubenroks12 »

Hello everyone! Has anybody recently heard from whistle maker Mack Hoover? His whistles are among my favorites in the collection. I just found out that he retired last year, and has passed the torch to a whistle maker named Elizabeth. Now his design is manufactured under the MackBeth whistle brand in this website: https://hooverwhistles.com/

I haven't heard from him recently and have had trouble getting in touch. Does anyone know how our good friend Mack is doing?

High G in brass, High G in Phenolic Resin, and D in PVC
Flotineer
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Re: Mack Hoover Updates

Post by Flotineer »

I got a whistle from him in mid 2021, and traded a few emails after, but that was my most recent.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Mack and I share a birthday date, rubenroks12. He is about 10+ years older than me, and I am a ... uh ... well advanced Senior Citizen. Mack is just fine, y'all. He lives in his unique and beautiful home in Colorado, with some of the coolest interior decorated walls on the planet. When I entered the whistle world, so very, very many years ago, he was one of the first denizens of the place, that I was honored to get to know. I had a fascination with whistles, and both undergraduate and graduate degrees in the musical arts, and soon realized I knew absolutely nothing about whistles, and the iTrad music scene. Mack helped me to learn...

Having fallen prey to a mild case of Whoad, Mack helped me understand what was good, and not so good, without ever pushing his own instruments. I learned to like and respect Mack, very much - and that remains true, today. Mack still makes and repairs whistles - and other instruments, but as he says, 'not for money.' He still plays his instruments, but not in public. He made a very thin-walled redwood, with black acetal mouthpiece high D, which he sent to me a lot of years ago, and my daughter took it over, right away. She played that instrument for many years, at the time she was very young - and still lived at home - in one of my early Celtic/American bands. Ah, memories.

I digress, and I apologize. Bottom line: Yes, rubenroks12, as with you, I truly do like the Hoover whistles that I still own - from that little redwood D, through the Whitecaps, through a set of aluminum high whistles in their own 'Mack-created' case, through a sleeper Whitecap with a Feadog body, through much more sophisticated metal and wooden instruments he sent to me, over the years... etc. Mack is still very much Mack. And that is a very good thing.
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

The rumors are all fairly accurate except the one about my passing. I’ll keep you posted about that.
Mack
rubenroks12

Post by rubenroks12 »

Glad to hear back from you Mr. Hoover! I saw your email as well. I am happy to be back in touch.
Flotineer
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Post by Flotineer »

So what can you tell us about the new whistles and maker?!

Mack.Hoover wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:09 am The rumors are all fairly accurate except the one about my passing. I’ll keep you posted about that.
Mack
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Simply if you like Hoover whistles you’ll like hers.
If you don’t like Hoovers you probably will like hers.
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

I'm glad to hear you are still amongst the living, Mack. I've said many times that a Mack Hoover small bore brass whistle will teach a person how to breathe and is a must-have! ---Reggie
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Great to see both Mack and rhulsey here on the Chiff. Indeed getting old is getting old. Hello to all the chiffers keeping the forum going.

Hello to the Admins as well. :)